SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-06-20, 11:18 AM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Playing with my new tool: digital torque wrench

The ratchet on my old vernier-type clicky torque wrench broke recently, so I wanted a replacement. I found a Laser 3/8" drive digital torque wrench online with 20% off so took the plunge.

Well, it's amazing. You just key in the torque you want (the scale is switchable between nm, lb-ft and kg-m), and start tightening. When you get to within 20% of the target torque, it starts beeping intermittently like a car's parking sensors, and when you hit the specified torque, the beep goes constant.

What's really cool is that the display shows the actual instantaneous torque you're applying, in real-time as you tighten, so there's no danger of overtightening.

If anyone is looking for a new torque wrench, I can highly recommend these, and they're still 20% off here, making it £38 delivered (they do a 1/4" and 1/2" drive version too).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Too...EAAOSwu4BV3DTb

(I'm not affiliated to Laser or the eBay shop in any way)
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-20, 01:03 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Playing with my new tool: digital torque wrench

Just seems like another thing that needs batteries. You can't over-tighten a normal torque wrench either if you are paying attention
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-20, 10:19 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i very rarely use a T wrench and only on brand new threads without lube and even then its only for things like cylinder head etc.etc. never ever use a TR on bolts with copper slip/grease.

i prefer to use 3/8 and a small ratchet. only time the big guns come out is front sprocket nuts.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-20, 08:12 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

No substitute for "feel", never blindly apply a torque setting.

I cringe at people who want to torque spark plugs, sump plugs etc. yeah, cylinder heads, bearing caps, even brake fixings, but always with the question am I happy with this.

As for torque wrench ownership I have them in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and a 650lb/ft 1" drive I haven't used for 30 years and currently in the possession of a train owning friend. (Imagine owning/restoring DMUs for a hobby??)

For undoing tight nuts, I have a 2m length of scaffold tube that slips over my breaker bar and has been known to snap the knuckle of a snap on breaker, but that only comes out when the impact guns fail.

Last edited by timwilky; 18-06-20 at 09:07 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-20, 11:59 AM   #5
aj76

I have ordered one, only because I am OCD on the things like caliper bolts and steering and have to replace the brake discs on the GSXR, and I am geek that likes toys

Also have a scooter engine to strip and rebuild teaching my lad some basics so thought it would be nicer for him to play with too when we have to put the head back on after piston swap
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-20, 02:23 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The main thing that is said by engineers about digital stuff is that 'it gives an illusion of accuracy' - goes for anything with a digital display including voltmeters etc. People love to see an exact figure on a display, but the figure on the display is only as good as the sensor / load cell, the electronics in between and the A/D converter resolution - and Oh the battery voltage as well - I have had multi-meters that gave display I did not believe, which made more sense after I changed the batteries. I like Laser stuff and have some of it like rear brake rewind tool tool for cars and chain link splitter set - have always found good quality for the money.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 18-06-20 at 02:25 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-20, 10:01 AM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
No substitute for "feel", never blindly apply a torque setting......
Agree. Remember that quoted torques are usually for "lightly oiled" condition (near dry), if you apply anti-seize or grease etc you should reduce the torque used, a rough guide would be something like 20% less.
I would always recommend working up to a torque in steps. I always snug a fastener with a regular spanner/socket wrench first to get a feel for what it nips up like. If it feels normal then go to the torque wrench and start at maybe 70% of the quoted figure and check the feel, then up to 80% and so on.
If you are not particularly experienced, it's worth getting hold of a few nuts and bolts and try tightening them until they fail. This gives you a good idea of what it feels like when something is shearing or stripping.
"Tighten until it shears then back off 1/4 turn" is not a particularly useful method in real life.
Old 21-06-20, 11:05 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Torque values are a bit of a minefield, they are normally quoted for a perfectly dry thread. The whole idea is to get the proper clamping force which equates to the amount of tension in a fastener ( in critical applications bolts are 'stretched' a known amount by the torque ) - In critical applications in industry I remember having bolts with a hole down the centre with a rod in it, the bolt was tightened until the rod was 'nipped' in the hole ( as the bolt stretched the hole in centre became smaller ), this showed the bold had stretched the right amount. Another method often used is 'torque angle' tightening.

https://www.boltscience.com/pages/a-...tightening.pdf

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torqu...ifications.pdf

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote