SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-20, 05:30 PM   #1
ChrisH

Default Need help figuring out which lock set to get

My bike died on me a few days ago, with the instruments dead & the starter refusing to spin. The green connector looks almost brand-new - no sign of a short, no discoloration, no dirt or moisture in it, nothing. When I pinned out the ignition lock wire with the bike in the on position, I got continuity between every wire except the orange/yellow one. And I can't turn the lock to the park position - it's as if something is broken off in there and blocking the cylinder from turning that far. So it looks the problem is in the ignition lock itself. The thing is banged up and has been giving me problems for years, so I'm going to just replace it. Looking at a parts diagram, I see two lock sets for my bike: Lock Set with part# 37000-16841 & Lock Set E33 with part# 37000-16851. Does anyone know what the E33 means? The bike is a 2004 SV650 naked, and I'm in the US.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 06:06 PM   #2
daktulos

Default Re: Need help figuring out which lock set to get

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...identification

U.S.A. (No. 2) /California
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 06:31 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Welcome along to the forum Chris. Can’t offer any advice on which lock set you need I’m afraid but hope you get it sorted quickly.

The pins in the locks wear and that’s often what causes mechanical problems with them. I believe Bibio has had one apart and repaired it before now.
Given that you appear to have a break in continuity along the orange/white wire, I’d be more inclined to try rigging up a temporary replacement for the purposes of testing.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 07:19 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Welcome. Happy July 4th.

Looking at this US parts drawing: https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...ess-sv650k3-k4

and using daktulos' chart, the #37000-16851 is for the CA spec bike and the #37000-16841 is for the 49 state model.
Old 04-07-20, 07:59 PM   #5
ChrisH

@garnortheast - I've read through a couple of rebuild threads, and it looks doable, but I think I have bigger problems than just a simple break in a wire or a worn out pin. I can easily afford the EOM lock set, and I plan on keeping the bike for quite a few years longer, so replacing it makes sense to me. Even if that turns out to not the problem, it'll make riding the bike more enjoyable.

@daktulos & @Seeker (& @garynortheast) - Thank you!
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote