SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Boots Post your own reviews on boots here

Old 20-01-05, 03:31 PM   #1
Jabba

Default A* GPS-3 boots

Anyone got a pair? Any good?

Came top in a recent ride test of waterproof boots..........
Old 24-01-05, 01:28 PM   #2
Ken McCulloch

Jabba, I recently bought a pair of GPS boots. Just a few quid under the ton I think. These are not the waterproof version which are about £30 more. I am told that all A***s boots have all their seams taped and the only addition in the waterproof ones is a goretex liner with a gussety bit in the zip opening. I have worn mine quite a bit what with having a new bike, no problems at all, very comfortable indeed but also well constructed and confidence inspiring. Have kept my feet dry in heavy rain a couple of times. More impressive, they kept my toes warm on a 70m ride on Saturday in a temperature of 1C. (I know this cos the VFR has an air temp thermometer. I don't know why HondaSan thought that was important...) It was bloody cold.

Top kit, if they fit your feet you will be very happy. On the other hand if you want a pair of Sidi Black Rains size 43 nearly new for 60 notes I'm your man.
Old 25-01-05, 09:01 AM   #3
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McCulloch
On the other hand if you want a pair of Sidi Black Rains size 43 nearly new for 60 notes I'm your man.
What's that size in "real money"?

More to the point, why have you swapped from the Black Rains to the A*?
Old 25-01-05, 10:07 AM   #4
Ken McCulloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McCulloch
On the other hand if you want a pair of Sidi Black Rains size 43 nearly new for 60 notes I'm your man.
What's that size in "real money"?

More to the point, why have you swapped from the Black Rains to the A*?
43 is about 8.5 in UK sizing. After wearing them a dozen or so times I decided they don't really suit my feet. I'm normally about an 8 but the size 42 (which usually = was a bit tight across the front of my foot, so I wnet for the 43 which of course don't really fit well around the heel . So they are for sale. Nearly new.
Old 27-01-05, 12:39 PM   #5
Jabba

Bit too small for me, Ken. Sorry - I'd have had 'em off you otherwise
Old 04-03-06, 08:29 PM   #6
ryancor

I have a pair of Alpinestars GPS 3 waterproof boots. Comfort wise they are very good. They do take a bit a waring in so so don't be put off when you have to push and pull a lot at first and don't buy a size bigger just to make them fit. once you have worn them in they are very comfortable.

I am on my second pair now as I had some problems with the first pair. I found the velcro stopped sticking at the top of the boot and kept catching on my foot pegs, and each other when I was walking. I sent them back to have them repaired by Alpinestars but after a few months they did the same. I have recently taken them back again and have a brand new pair. According to the guy at Crescent Suzuki they have made a few improvements. The top edge of velcro is now tailored so it follows the contour of the boot making it stay in place.

As far as waterproofing goes I have worn them in all weathers including sustained heavy down pours for over an hour and haven't felt a drop come through.

I will be interested to see if the velcro fix is still working in a few months time but initial indications are good. I cannot praise Alpinestars and Crescent Suzuki enough for their customer service.