SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-05, 04:38 PM   #1
BaggaZee

Default manhole cover on corner....ow....slide crunch ow

Riding home the other night and it started to sleet so I avoided the cobbled street I normally take & thought I'd take the long way round .
Just spotted the slick manhole cover then, next thing I know, I'm on my back sliding along the road, then I hit a kerb with my head & shoulder. When I come to, my first thought was 'aren't helmets great' then, the bike!!!.
Well, to cut a long story short my collarbone's broken and the bike needs a bit of TLC, mainly cosmetic plus levers, pegs etc. The tank's ok so I guess the R&G bung did something before popping straight off
Normally manhole covers aren't too bad, cause a little slip at worst but this one looks like it's been lovingly polished for years!
The whole point of this thread is this question, isn't there any move towards tarmac'd covers or are we just stuck with these biker traps?

P.S. I've also discovered that I'm a big girl's blouse, this pain is unbearable!
Old 04-03-05, 04:48 PM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Noooo
Old 04-03-05, 04:48 PM   #3
BaggaZee

On a positive note, people were amazing!
Loads of people ran or stopped to help. Folks came out of flats and took my bike to their block, locked it up & brought me the keys before another bloke drove me to the hospital, took me in, got me a coffee & waited until I was seen!

Really restored my faith in people, I was all over the place though and probably didn't thank anyone. I think they'd understand.
Old 04-03-05, 04:57 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Let us know what bits we're after and I'll have a look... What's the prognosis with the collarbone?

Sorry about your off... The thing to do about manhole covers, is don't ride over them...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 05:07 PM   #5
jonboy

As usual I'm really glad another of our kin isn't too badly hurt (though that collarbone must hurt). And at least the bike's not written off and is fixable. Best of luck to you.

Nice to see that the goodness of the human spirit is alive and well, such a pleasant change.

Old 04-03-05, 05:08 PM   #6
BaggaZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Let us know what bits we're after and I'll have a look...
Cheers Northy, will do..

Quote:
What's the prognosis with the collarbone?
Seeing the bone man in 10 days, likely to be 4 - 5 weeks after that. The bugger is that they can't do much beyond a sling so it moves around a lot.

Quote:
The thing to do about manhole covers, is don't ride over them...
Smart-****
Old 04-03-05, 05:18 PM   #7
Mr Toad

sorry to hear this
glad you're OK, hope you & the bike get well soon

I thought I'd got away easy from my 10mph spill the other day, but this morning noticed that my radiator was no longer quite where it should have been
I always thought the R&G's looked a bit fragile - I guess the plastic bit shot off
At least when you can ride it again the weather should be better
Old 04-03-05, 05:19 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Yeah, shoulders can be bad 'uns... I took a chunk out of one of mine years ago, and it was much the same- can't fix it without doing more damage than it fixes. But they do tend to heal well at least... I hope it's not your wa... dominant hand
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 05:21 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
On a positive note, people were amazing!
Loads of people ran or stopped to help. Folks came out of flats and took my bike to their block, locked it up & brought me the keys before another bloke drove me to the hospital, took me in, got me a coffee & waited until I was seen!

Really restored my faith in people, I was all over the place though and probably didn't thank anyone. I think they'd understand.
Yeah, when I had an accident recently it was really nice how pleasent and helpful everyone was. Like you say, makes you realise most people are decent, friendly folk, deep down.
Old 04-03-05, 05:22 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Its worth repeating that the roads in general are exceptionally slippery this winter.We have heard about dodgy new road surfaces and the wrong kind of grit but whatever the reason take it easy
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote