SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-06-16, 02:24 PM   #1
Stuart G

Default Changing the headlamp unit on a Gladius

I have a Gladius which I bought new three years ago, one thing that has always bugged me is the shape of the headlamp unit. Is it possible to replace it with a round headlamp eg. from an older SV650? Would the block connectors be the same and how much modification would be required to the mounting bracket as presumably they will be different?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 25-06-16, 03:51 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Changing the headlamp unit on a Gladius

you will need everything from a pointy headlight inc brackets with the rubbers etc.etc. you then just take the bulbs out the old headlight and put them in the new one.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 03:51 PM   #3
Elbee

hi, appreciate this is an old thread, but wondered how you got on with this? Or if anyone reading can offer up advice on a conversion. Mine is now 3 years old & I think the Gladdy headlight is very poor! my Pointy SV I had was amazing at night, but this thing makes me almost afraid to ride country roads at night!
Elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 08:46 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Plenty of LED headlight units on alchemy site

https://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/headl...imit=12&mode=4

Also have auxiliary LED spotlights to augment single headlight on gladius and switches that will match existing handlebar switches..

Also. classiccarleds.co.uk have H4 LED bulbs that are a good upgrade on standard filament types, both our cars have them and have passed MOT with them fitted, but due to limited space in back of single headlight I had to rearrange wiring a bit on my AL7 to fit bulb and constant current driver module, but beam pattern is great and light output really white ( 6500K ) .

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-03-19 at 08:57 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 05:12 PM   #5
Elbee

Brilliant, thanks. I'll start to have a look ��
Old 18-03-19, 06:11 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I have attached a PDF showing photographs of dip and main beam on my wifes Honda Jazz fitted with the classiccarleds H4 LED bulbs and link to them below - you can buy the bulbs singly at £40 but as I said I had to rearrange wiring a bit is the small headlamp housing - may want to contact sales and see if they have any plans to sell H4 bulbs with the flat copper braid heatsink instead the machined round one, the braids take up a lot less room. There is a link on their site to contact sales@classiccarleds.co.uk they are very helpful.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...roduct-reviews

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...=8239030763615

They do a 400mm extension cable and plugs to enable you to mount the constant current power supply ( bulbs work from 9 to 32 volts ) this is OK for motorbike as you can move the supply electronics away from the bulb.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...s-for-ic-units

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-08-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 18-03-19, 07:40 PM   #7
Elbee

Ok, you've went to a lot of effort their, I'm very grateful. First link looks great, would the voltage thing make any difference to me running other things on the bike (heated grips)? I'm quite naive with electrical side of things.
Im open to looking at replacing altogether with something else as the headlamp is a bit clouded from the bulb popping last winter, bit of a mess but my own stupid fault, I kept the pass button pressed to long trying to gain all the light I could on a back road! Made for an interesting ride to a service station in almost total darkness :/
Old 18-03-19, 07:54 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbee View Post
Ok, you've went to a lot of effort their, I'm very grateful. First link looks great, would the voltage thing make any difference to me running other things on the bike (heated grips)? I'm quite naive with electrical side of things.
Im open to looking at replacing altogether with something else as the headlamp is a bit clouded from the bulb popping last winter, bit of a mess but my own stupid fault, I kept the pass button pressed to long trying to gain all the light I could on a back road! Made for an interesting ride to a service station in almost total darkness :/
Each LED bulb draws only 1.6 amps compared to 5 amps for each equivalent filament bulb, so more power is freed up for your heated grips. The 9 to 32 volts simply means that as long as system voltage is above 9 volts the LED can get all the current it needs ( LED chips work on current not voltage ) and the box of tricks supplied with bulb ( constant current supply ) ensures that as voltage rises even as high as 32 volts the bulb will not blow.. also LED bulbs are totally resistant to vibration and have a life of over 30,000 hours instead of a life measured in 100's of hours for filament bulbs. Filament bulbs also get dimmer as they age because glass gets coated up inside as filament evaporates and darkens the glass, plus of course LED is probably twice as bright, and its whiter colour ( 6500K compared to 4500K for modern super bright +@150% filament ) means it makes you more noticeable in daylight as well.

I have been using the LED bulbs in our cars for nearly two years and they have passed MOT with them in, even under the new rules introduced in March 2018.

Last edited by SV650rules; 18-03-19 at 07:59 PM.
Old 19-03-19, 05:00 PM   #9
Mega Poster

Easiest mod in the world, changing a headlight. Just need appropriate brackets (available AOTS) and a headlight. most come with universal blocks to connect, or simple bit of wiring is easy enough, even for electrical noobs like me.
Old 22-03-19, 01:15 PM   #10
Elbee

Nice one, thanks. Having a look around & waiting for payday