SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 23-06-09, 09:18 PM   #1
simesb

Default What happened to the June photo comp

After plowsie and warthog won May, did a June comp ever start? Can't find a thread.....
Old 23-06-09, 09:25 PM   #2
chasey

Default Re: What happened to the June photo comp

The photo competitions ended. Not sure why - I missed that. Seemed like hard work / time for the mods though?
Old 24-06-09, 07:10 AM   #3
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasey View Post
The photo competitions ended. Not sure why - I missed that. Seemed like hard work / time for the mods though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
ps, this is going to be the last photo comp.
Ah - found it tucked away. Shame, I liked the comps....
Old 24-06-09, 07:13 AM   #4
plowsie

I'm sure there is no reason why we can't carry them on without the mods needing to get involved unless I have missed something?
Old 24-06-09, 07:20 AM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I'm sure there is no reason why we can't carry them on without the mods needing to get involved unless I have missed something?
Yes you did miss something. It will still need to be moderated. The issues with the past photo competitions were people could not grasp the rules regarding posting entries and voting. It took quite a bit of moderating to keep if fair and 'clean'. There were occasions when complaints were made and it was for the mods of this section to resolve. It became too much of chore than a pleasure. It would still need to be moderated to sort out the bickering that would ensue. And it would ensue left unmoderated. So then the moderators would end up having to be heavy handed. As the moderator does not have the time or patience to sort it out it has been cancelled. All good things come to an end eventually.
Old 24-06-09, 07:24 AM   #6
plowsie

Wow, people complained to mods

Fair enough though. I've never won anything in my life and I joint won the last one
Old 24-06-09, 12:34 PM   #7
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

We could have a "June Photo Comparison ....... Thread"
Where we all take photo's of similar things and then compare each others efforts at the end of the month
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-09, 01:04 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
We could have a "June Photo Comparison ....... Thread"
Where we all take photo's of similar things and then compare each others efforts at the end of the month
PMSL, yes of course you could. Nothing wrong with starting something like that. Just dont ask a mod to go in and tidy it up or add polls for voting otherwise we are back to square one

biggest problem with the last one as Stig said was that therewere rules posted to try and keep the competition fair, ye some peeps just didnt read the rules or if they did they chose to ignore them and that when it becam a headache.
So if your photo comparison has no rules that can be broken, then it makes it a lot easier.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-09, 01:51 PM   #9
chasey

Just make it ten entries (maximum number of options allowed per poll?) and then there is only one thread/poll needed? First ten people who get a picture up are entered, starter of the thread creates the poll etc etc.

It is workable with no mod intervention imo.
Old 24-06-09, 02:01 PM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasey View Post

It is workable with no mod intervention imo.
There will always be mod intervention. Even if it means a mod is just monitoring thread. Still takes time and still requires intervention when people don't follow the rules or take offence etc...

When a mod is responsible for running the thread this is much easier to do. When it is one of the normal users less so. Go ahead and see how it goes. But do not be surprised when or if it does not work and ends up with the thread being deleted.

Oh and one more thing. This has been tried before on more than one occasion which went Pete Tong. This is why we ended up with the moderator running the competition anyway.