SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 22-05-10, 09:14 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Accident on road to Haworth from Laneshaw Bridge

Biker went into back of a car, car was braking to allow for other biker to overtake (or something to that effect).

I was stuck in a queue of people waiting to pass for about 20 minutes chatting to another couple of bikers, had to retrace my steps and head home the long way round as it was possible I could be waiting 3 hours or the road could be closed. I believe the bloke was unconscious. Hope he is ok, apparently he was deaf to start with which can't have helped

Just on that note, what is the situation with deaf people riding, you would have thought it would perhaps affect balance issues or something?
Old 22-05-10, 09:27 PM   #2
ChrisSV

Default Re: Accident on road to Haworth from Laneshaw Bridge

Hope he is ok.
as far as deaf people go, i know a deaf bloke who rides, and he seems fine, hes just says he cant hear whats around him, so has to look more.
Old 22-05-10, 09:44 PM   #3
nik_nunez

hope he is ok, riding deaf wont be to bad once he looks around alot. not much difference in that and listening to music loud,

met some guy today that was paralised in his left arm and had it in a sling, so rode 1 handed with a modified bike with all the controls on the right grip, madness
Old 22-05-10, 09:47 PM   #4
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_nunez View Post

met some guy today that was paralised in his left arm and had it in a sling, so rode 1 handed with a modified bike with all the controls on the right grip, madness
That's amazing! The lengths people will go to to keep riding!
Old 22-05-10, 10:44 PM   #5
ArtyLady

Quote:

Saw a bloke with one leg on a Ducati the other week! Good on him!
Old 26-05-10, 03:14 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yup I know a guy who rides with 1 leg, used to work with his Brother.

He had a Z1R (IIRC, some big old bruiser with Lawson rep paint) that conked out on the -62 because he didn't get to the reserve tap in time, it also had a dodgy alternator so needed a bump start. So it was decided that the 2 legged half of the brothers kershaw would jump on the seat and start it while his missus and the 1 legged one gave a push.

Of course the bike fired, and Steven forgot to let go, sending him down in a heap with Brians missus with his wooden leg skittering down the hard shoulder.

The police who were passing said they would have got a ticket for something if it hadn't looked so bloody funny.
Old 26-05-10, 04:27 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Met a guy at the tyre fitters with a paralysed arm, he was having new tyres fitted to his race bike wheels! Yep, he races. I wonder if it's the same one armed bloke that races in same class (IIRC) as flymo did last year?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-10, 08:32 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Nowt but respect for disabled riders.
An old aquaintance, used to half a leg, not sure if its stll being chopped off at regular intervals...

...anyway, we used to have to help him get his leg over, ooeeerr, but once on he had the gears on his handlebars. Best thing was being entertained by shocked car drivers as they saw his prosthetic leg flapping around at the side of him on the motorway, don't worry it was attached and wouldn't fall off, bu when you don't know the toe has come off the peg, it just hangs there!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-10, 10:50 AM   #9
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSV View Post
Hope he is ok.
as far as deaf people go, i know a deaf bloke who rides, and he seems fine, hes just says he cant hear whats around him, so has to look more.
deaf people can see a lot more than hearing ones can, you'd be amazed...

Steve
Old 27-05-10, 11:13 AM   #10
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Met a guy at the tyre fitters with a paralysed arm, he was having new tyres fitted to his race bike wheels! Yep, he races. I wonder if it's the same one armed bloke that races in same class (IIRC) as flymo did last year?
There is two people that ride with No Limits in the fast group. Both have an arm missing, one the left, the other the right.

I think one has an R1 and the other defo has a 675. I believe the one on the 675 races with BESMEE or something like that.