SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-19, 11:07 AM   #1
Othen

Default Radiator Hoses

A very nice set of silicone radiator hoses that I'd ordered direct from a Chinese producer about a month ago and forgotten about showed up in the mail today. I now remember ordering them because they were particularly cheap (only $30 delivered - which I paid for in dollars from my US account and equate to £15 as the exchange rate was 2:1 when I last lived in the US).

Anyway I was thinking that they will go quite nicely onto my K6, which probably has its original hoses. The two long hoses (to the radiator) will be no problem as they are fairly easily accessible, but the two short ones that that go from the thermostat to the cylinders look to be inaccessible unless I remove the throttle bodies. I really don't want to take the throttle bodies off this bike - they will not have moved for 13 years and I think that would be a risk too far unless I really need to.

I've just had a good clean around and the two short hoses look like they are in good condition (I suppose they live in a fairly benign environment between the cylinders), so I'm planning to leave them alone and just change the long ones (which are much more exposed and could do with a refresh).

My question: is this what most people do (I suspect it is), or is there an easy way of accessing the clips on those two short hoses (or do people take the throttle bodies off for this bit of maintenance)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan

PS. Someone here recommended Screwfix own brand de-greaser the other day. I bought some and have been using it today. I concur with the recommendation, it is an excellent product, every bit as good as Gunk and at a fraction of the price. I have been mixing up a strong solution (about 1:5) with hot water in a puffer bottle, and it has made a really good job of cleaning up the murky area between the cylinders and under the engine.

Last edited by Othen; 06-03-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 07:34 PM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Radiator Hoses

Not an answer to your querstion, but Screwfix sell Holt's brake and clutch cleaner too which is great for degreasing brake rotors etc and very cheap for a big can.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 03:12 AM   #3
Surfjayce

I was looking into this a while back as i wanted to replace my hoses too, i too was looking for a short cut to the thermostat hoses but to no avail, it really is a tank up, airbox out, throttle bodies off job unfortunately. but to be honest if your hoses look ok, then leave them, and replace the visible ones if you just wanna spruce up that area
Surfjayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 03:55 AM   #4
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfjayce View Post
I was looking into this a while back as i wanted to replace my hoses too, i too was looking for a short cut to the thermostat hoses but to no avail, it really is a tank up, airbox out, throttle bodies off job unfortunately. but to be honest if your hoses look ok, then leave them, and replace the visible ones if you just wanna spruce up that area

Many thanks. I had a good look at the problem yesterday and had concluded the same. The service schedule says hoses should be replaced every 4 years, but I don’t recall hearing of anyone doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-19, 12:51 PM   #5
Othen

I fitted the hoses today - just the two external ones, they have tidied up the bike with some shiny SS hose clips. I'll keep the other 4 hoses in a safe place in case I ever have to take the throttle bodies off.