SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-06, 11:09 AM   #1
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Cage driver randomness

A bus is stopped picking people up on a narrow road, cars qued up behind it, side turning on the right opposite the bus. I filter to the front but wait behind the first car as it's jutting out at an angle into the oncoming lane, indicating right. They can't see far enough round the bus however, so they wait there. The bus moves off, the car in front straightens up to follow the bus and I can see the other side of the road is clear. I proceed to overtake them both but just as I pass the front wing of the car it swerves right down the side road

If I'd been a second late, not gone as wide onto the other side of the road to make the overtake or not been as prompt as I was, I'd have been taken out. As the car was indicating I'd probably be found partly if not entirely to blame and if I'm honest, deservidly so too.

I'd like to think I'm a fairly good at judging what people are going to do on the road and it's been a while since I've gotten it wrong, but I think this was a useful lesson for me. Yes it's common sense, but I was in need of a reminder - Never put yourself in a position where a wrong assumption about someones actions will result in you getting knocked off!
Old 23-10-06, 11:12 AM   #2
Filipe M.

Default Re: Cage driver randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Never put yourself in a position where a wrong assumption about someones actions will result in you getting knocked off!
Well said. Always remember "Assumption is the mother of all **** ups."
Old 23-10-06, 11:15 AM   #3
linco

Quote:
A bus is stopped picking people up on a narrow road, cars qued up behind it, side turning on the right opposite the bus. I filter to the front but wait behind the first car as it's jutting out at an angle into the oncoming lane, indicating right. They can't see far enough round the bus however, so they wait there. The bus moves off, the car in front straightens up to follow the bus and I can see the other side of the road is clear. I proceed to overtake them both but just as I pass the front wing of the car it swerves right down the side road

If I'd been a second late, not gone as wide onto the other side of the road to make the overtake or not been as prompt as I was, I'd have been taken out. As the car was indicating I'd probably be found partly if not entirely to blame and if I'm honest, deservidly so too.

I'd like to think I'm a fairly good at judging what people are going to do on the road and it's been a while since I've gotten it wrong, but I think this was a useful lesson for me. Yes it's common sense, but I was in need of a reminder - Never put yourself in a position where a wrong assumption about someones actions will result in you getting knocked off!
Glad you made it ok!!!

Trust no-one!
Old 23-10-06, 11:30 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Bloody Rodents

Done that a few times myself. Always expect the unexpected. I almost got atken out by a van in Cannon street this morning. Even after a full blast of Fiamms, and a whack on the side of his van, he carried on pulling over the the right hand side of the road to make a delivery. Muppet!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-06, 11:43 AM   #5
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Happened to me a while back on my way to work, i had never seen someone ever do a right at this junction (not allowed to as it was clearly marked no right or left turn), i as all of the other bikers do, just go with the flow of traffic but one day some twit decided that he would go right, i was right next to him and the second i noticed the throttle went 100% on to get by him/her ASAP. It was complacany to the twits on the journey i do every day which for the most part is uneventful.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-06, 12:03 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Never put yourself in a position where an assumption is made
Slight misquote, but I feel it's more accurate.

You were f'king lucky mate. Seems a lot of us on the forum have had 'polite lessons' recently, myself included.
Old 23-10-06, 12:30 PM   #7
grecian9

well my mate at work got knocked off yesterday. Car hit him from behind as he pulled off a road and then ran over his arm. Broken collar bone, arm and most worrying thumb joint is shattered. He's having surgery on his thumb this week. I wasn't there but it's another reminder to take it easy while I get used to my awkward new boots (see other thread). The bad thing is he's only 19 and has only been on his 125 for 4 weeks!
Old 23-10-06, 12:37 PM   #8
Black Rider

Glad to hear you're ok Flaming Sqirral - a lesson for us all to learn
Sorry to hear about your mate grecian9 hope he recovers well!!!
Old 23-10-06, 12:46 PM   #9
thor

Sounds like you were lucky there Jordan!
Old 23-10-06, 02:39 PM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

Glad you're ok, good write up too I've have had a couple of near hits over the last few months, the main thing is to learn from the things that *almost* went wrong, rather than waiting for the big crunch to look at your own riding.

Clearly you're a fan of this too

Hope your ride home is less eventful