SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-08, 11:49 AM   #1
daveb

Default K7 650s fueling.

Hi - I have a K7 650s which I have owned from new and have done around 2800miles.
I have an intermittant small back-fire (pop) which happens maybe 2 or three times a week (I commute to work on it 5 days).
It isn't really an issue and tends to happen when I am slowing down and going down the gears, as I blip the throttle it sometimes pops instead of revving but then all is fine again.
As I say, this has happened from new and only happens once in any given ride and maybe 2 out of every 5 rides - the bike doesn't stall or anything but it is clearly back-fireing.
Is this a injection fueling/mapping issue - the bike runs and fuels absolutly fine apart from this?

Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks
Old 17-07-08, 11:52 AM   #2
Keith1983

Default Re: K7 650s fueling...

Is it not still under warranty?
Old 17-07-08, 11:58 AM   #3
daveb

Default Re: K7 650s fueling...

Yep - but it really isn't a big enough issue to flag up in my opinion as it only happens every now and again. I was more curious as to whether there might be a minor fueling glitch that could be remideed by a software update or something...
Old 17-07-08, 04:46 PM   #4
amnesia

Default Re: K7 650s fueling.

Normal remedy for a backfire is to fit a new can...then it becomes a nicer sounding backfire.

Or, to be slightly more serious I would return it to the dealer for a check up if you are concerned.

If it is a small problem you can get it fixed before it becomes a big problem the day after the warranty expires.
Old 17-07-08, 04:57 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I have an intermittant small back-fire (pop) which happens maybe 2 or three times a week
Have you still got the original exhaust on it or have you fitted an aftermarket one ?

Liz's K5 pops and burbles on the over run and she has a Remus can on it, We both like the way it sounds. If its more of a pop than a huge mahoosive bang and you have an aftermarket exhaust, I wouldnt worry about it to much.

If not, and you are worried about it then surely as said above you have warranty left on the bike so take it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it for you.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-08, 01:31 AM   #6
YZEtc

Is this pop coming from the muffler or the intake?

In stock condition, my SV-650K7 would do the occasional fart where a quick blip of the throttle would result in a dull popping noise from the intake and no revs gained from the engine.
The engine wouldn't stall and would from that point on act as usual until the next occasion a fart would occur, which could have been a day later or a week later.
It was never a concern for me and I put it down to Al Gore and the EPA lean condition of the stock fueling - nothing new there with street bikes.

Once I fit a Power Commander, it quit doing it for good.
Old 18-07-08, 11:34 AM   #7
daveb

YZEtc - that's exactly what I get - a small intake pop when I blip the throttle and it only usually happens once in any given ride and ussually as Im slowing down to park the bike etc. It doesn't stall so I'm not really concerned tbh - When I take it in for it's 4k service I'll get the shop to check it anyway.

Thanks everyone -

D
Old 18-07-08, 12:12 PM   #8
Mr Toad

My thou does the same - pair of baffle-less Scorpions

When I had a 650, I removed the snorkle and raised the tank (Scorpion end can, no baffles), and it used to 'cough' quite violently from time to time under the same conditions