SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-11-12, 12:23 PM   #1
Roberrrrt

Default Wire wheels for a Curvy?

Done a search but comes up blank...

SV is going off the road over winter and I've some mods planned. Anyone looked into wire wheels for a curvy?

Found these, http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/sv650.html but

1. They're for pointy
2. They're yank
3. They're wayyyy to expensive!!

Anyone know of any that will fit an SV, even with some tweaking?
Old 21-11-12, 12:31 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Wire wheels?

Drz owners are all over the spoked wheels, cheapest way to get your hands on a new set was to buy the rims, spokes and hubs individually.

Rims and Spokes are peanuts, but you're going to have to go far to find someone who knocks the hubs for an SV up. Then you've got to find someone who can build them, wheel building is an art, any mug can tension a few spokes but getting a full wheel built inst something people generally do for cheap.
The only guys who did it on their own wheels on the drz forum had done it many times on mountain bikes and a lucky few said they'd done a motorbike or two in the past... All failed, gave up and sent it to the one wheel builder known to the forum, who isnt cheap.
Old 21-11-12, 12:33 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Rims and Spokes are peanuts, but you're going to have to go far to find someone who knocks the hubs for an SV up.
Thought about it.

Wouldn't be surprised to part with the best part of a grand for a top quality set up.

OTOH please commission me to do this as it would be REALLY COOL!
Old 21-11-12, 12:40 PM   #4
Roberrrrt

Here's my inspiration:

http://www.visordown.com/cool-motorc...ist/21812.html

Now someone help me achieve it. Cheaply.
Old 21-11-12, 01:14 PM   #5
Owenski

I'd say look for conversions.
IE look for a bike already running the wire rims (thinking ktm) then look at how easy/hard it would be to put that front end and swinger onto the SV frame.
The more OEM parts you can be using the cheaper it'll be in the long run but the set up cost would be far more likely to be cheap to have just bought, sourced and had built some of the wire wheels.

FYI if there are people making wire wheels for a pointy, why not stick a point front and rear end on your curvy?
Old 21-11-12, 01:19 PM   #6
Roberrrrt

That's kinda the question I was asking matt - whether anyone knew what other manufacturer's wire wheels might fit the SV. This is only something I'll do if the price is right, so not up for replacing front & back ends really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
FYI if there are people making wire wheels for a pointy, why not stick a point front and rear end on your curvy?
Because they want $1600 for a pair!!
Old 21-11-12, 01:24 PM   #7
Owenski

Yeah they're not cheap!
Wire wheels cost way way more than cast for a gabillion reasons.

Only way you'll get them cheap if you know of a bike using them as OEM who also sell enough that someone might be breaking it for parts.
Then you've got the fun job of having them adapted to fit the SV. I'm not Sv archive expert but I don't think its been done... but we're a nation of pioneers so go for it
Old 21-11-12, 03:10 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wire wheels for a Curvy?

Look for a set of early GS550/750/1000 hubs, hubs from the twins; 250/400/425/450/500 are single side - unless you fancy a single disc and suitable 4/6 pot caliper, (Billet perhaps?).
Then you'll need someone to machine some adaptors to fit your discs, (like that linked bike has), and if suitable ID/OD bearings can't be found then a new spindle and spacers.
When looking for front hubs be aware that some very early, custom and Yank models had single front discs, some have a trim plate on the other side of the hubs covering the disc bolt holes, some just have one set of holes.

Still not giveaway, but I suspect that will be the most cost effective way.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote