SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-05, 06:16 PM   #1
Peter Henry

Default Approaching from the rear,(Don't be smutty!)

Just a little mention in passing,I am sure it has been chatted about previously but I have almost suffered and would definitely have done so if I had not done the following!

On any dual carriageway or motorway always approach traffic that you are about to pass from a position where you can see the glass in their wing mirrors for as long as possible. This may mean you travelling a little closer to said vehicles than you do normally.

This then gives the driver a greater chance to actually see you approaching if they bother to look.If they dont you are near enough to sound your horn and jerk them awake before they continue that half asleep manouvre of swinging out in front of you.
This saved me this afternoon as some Bimbo woman with no awareness of the situation around her began to pull out as I was about 3/4 way alongside her. Sharp blast of horn and immediate eye contact followed by her yanking the wheel to starboard!(of course it would be to port in the U.k.)
Be careful out there!
Old 09-05-05, 06:31 PM   #2
BURNER

When you get those end cans hopefully they'll hear you.
Old 09-05-05, 06:37 PM   #3
Peter Henry

Burner.....Good point mate! I hadn't thought of that!
Old 09-05-05, 08:39 PM   #4
manxsv

similar thing happened to me at the weekend, overtaking 2 cars did everthing right, check over my shoulder, indicator on, started the overtake, when the 2nd car just pulled out when I was halfway past it, had to swerve and give it gas to get out of trouble, so knew there was a set traffic lights about a few miles up the road, so waited near the lights lucky there were on red so pulled up along side of the car in question, tapped on her window and told her to look in here mirrors in future all I got was the shrugg of the shoulders, I was so close to booting her nice shiney Rover XT car door,
Old 10-05-05, 09:44 AM   #5
twotime

happens on average twice a day on the commute in to central London...

There's some kind of madness that takes over a cage driver in the smoke.....any available space on the left or right suddenly becomes their own special filtering lane.....Had one last week, pulled into my lane as i was passing (out of a bus lane where he shouldn't have been anyway) sounded my horn, he just looked at me and kept coming out...making me pull over the white lines for safety. got back in front of him and he proceeded to accelerate up behind me, then brake at the last minute, then repeat.....funnily enough didn't want to wind his window down or stop to talk when we got to the lights...i love the sound of reinforced knuckle protectors on bmw windows
Old 10-05-05, 06:52 PM   #6
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxsv
...I was so close to booting her nice shiney Rover XT car door,
Anyone with a Rover XT really deserves a good kicking....but criminal damage is a nasty charge!

However, I have this idea forming which might involve a water pistol and something horribly sticky...like honey, or perhaps treacle....or maple syrup...it would take time to clean off, do no damage (might attract a better class of bee, so be ecological!), and I can't see the OB wanting to press a charge of Assault with a Squirt of Honey. It would never stick (ho, ho!!)
Old 10-05-05, 06:57 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Ho Ho Ho
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-05, 08:33 PM   #8
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxsv
...I was so close to booting her nice shiney Rover XT car door,
Anyone with a Rover XT really deserves a good kicking....but criminal damage is a nasty charge!

However, I have this idea forming which might involve a water pistol and something horribly sticky...like honey, or perhaps treacle....or maple syrup...it would take time to clean off, do no damage (might attract a better class of bee, so be ecological!), and I can't see the OB wanting to press a charge of Assault with a Squirt of Honey. It would never stick (ho, ho!!)
What about some brake fluid or paint stripper?

They would never notice until they got home if you did it subtly (word?) enough