SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-08, 07:20 PM   #1
LEXINGTONONE

Default Pointy Cams ?

has anyone fitted camshafts (for more power) to a pointy, I had some stage 2 JHS cams in my curvy and was pleased but the pointys dont seem to have the same range of cams available for upgrade (maybe cos the standard ones are higher lift anyway) any help appreciated thanks.
Old 03-06-08, 08:12 PM   #2
sv650k4

Default Re: Pointy Cams ?

if its more performance your looking why not do something else if you dont think better cams give all thats much on a pointy. wot about valves and stuff like that?they may give a bit more.
Old 04-06-08, 12:40 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

To be honest not many people have done much to develop tuning products for the Pointy's as they have with the Curvy's.

Yes the Pointy cams are higher lift than the standard Curvy cams but having just fitted K3 cams to my 650 I am really disappointed and cannot see what the fuss is about. I had JHS cams fitted to my 750 before it became a 750 and they made a big difference unlike the K3's! My advice now to Curvy owners is if you are thinking about fitting the K3 cams wait a bit longer and save some money to get JHS cams, they are actually worth paying for!

Speak to JHS 'Lexingtonone' and see what they can do for you. What have you done to your SV so far???
Old 04-06-08, 12:46 PM   #4
sv650k4

any idea much the JHS cams are for the pointy sv?
Old 04-06-08, 04:36 PM   #5
LEXINGTONONE

my pointy has K + N filter, power commander, full arrow exhaust system (all titanium), iridium plugs, tre device, am looking at putting a big bore kit on, probably 700cc and maybe doing a little head work but would like to finish job with some good cams, as you say (Dangerous Dave) they seemed to work really well on the curvy 700.
Old 04-06-08, 04:44 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

JHS don't make cams for just Pointy's, they make a few types in different stages and it would be best to speak to them about what would suit you bikes tuning first! They are around 350 pounds for the Stage 2.

I haven't seen any bored out Pointy's yet!
Old 04-06-08, 06:54 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Yes the Pointy cams are higher lift than the standard Curvy cams but having just fitted K3 cams to my 650 I am really disappointed and cannot see what the fuss is about. I had JHS cams fitted to my 750 before it became a 750 and they made a big difference unlike the K3's! My advice now to Curvy owners is if you are thinking about fitting the K3 cams wait a bit longer and save some money to get JHS cams, they are actually worth paying for!
Most people find pretty good results... My dyno runs ended up meaningless unfortunately because my baseline run had a rich running issue (because of the renegade airkit it had at the time) but there's a few others out there that are better, like Pod's... Did you do the dual intakes or a complete cam swap?

This next bit's hearsay, but hearsay from smart people... One of the builders on Socal got themselves a set of JHS stage 2 cams and checked the lift and duration, and claimed they were identical to the K3/dual intake mod. The timing wasn't, but was similiar (SV timing seems to be a wee bit random on the stock cams).

BTW, was that price with exchange, or was it complete? Pressed onto stock wheels I take it?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 07:14 PM   #8
zadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Yes the Pointy cams are higher lift than the standard Curvy cams but having just fitted K3 cams to my 650 I am really disappointed and cannot see what the fuss is about.
fuss is about 4-5hp you gain.
Old 05-06-08, 09:44 AM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
BTW, was that price with exchange, or was it complete? Pressed onto stock wheels I take it?
Yes to both, for stage 2 cams. I know for a fact that the JHS Stage 2 cams are not identical in profile to K3 cams, its a obvious visual difference too!

I am not saying the K3 swap is a bad mod, but the hype that people made over it is way exaggerated especially when you get a chance to ride a K3 cam and JHS cam back to back!
Old 05-06-08, 12:49 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

The numbers zadar quoted aree about typical for dyno results... I can't see .3mm difference in lift and 9 degrees duration with the naked eye either But I've never used the JHS cams meself, which is why I'm assailing you with questions. If they're £350 plus exchange that's effectively 4 times the price of the K3 swap, so I'd want to see serious benefits meself.

Oh aye, I didn't see an answer but did you do dual intakes or a complete K3 swap? (ie, did you have K3 ex cams in the ex or carbed in cams)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote