SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-07-08, 12:46 PM   #1
krhall

Default Cycle Upgrade?

I know that a few of you lot are into biking and am looking for a bit of advice.

Basically I used to cycle to and from work 3 times a week (26 mile roundtrip). I bought a Carrera Subway 8 hybrid type thing from Halfords and whilst this bike is still fine, is there something which will make this a bit easier for under ?500? Or should I just keep the Subway?

What should I look for? Work do a ?500 interest-free loan rather than a full cycle to work scheme, but even that's ok.

Any ideas greatly received.
Old 28-07-08, 12:49 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cycle Upgrade?

Wheels & tyres will give the best improvement in speed.

Whats it got fitted on it at the moment. Are they MTB treaded tyres or more of a road type slick tyre ?

Really the best improvement is to loose weight and get fitter though. The more you cycle the easier it'll get.

The other thing that can make a difference is to use proper cycling shoes and pedals. ( if you arent already )

Keeping the tyres at the right pressure will also help as will a cleaned and lubed chain. Anything thats robbing you of the efficeny of your pedal stroke, i.e power being lost through drag via flat tyres or drag on the chain is going to slow you down.

In this weather as well you want to make sure you are drinking enough water to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-08, 12:55 PM   #3
krhall

They currently have an in the middle kevlar tyre, not bobbly or anything like a MTB.

I use shimano SPD's and some nike spd shoe things, but actually find they make only a small amout of difference.

the 13 miles home takes about 45-50 mins.....
Old 28-07-08, 01:05 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Personally in your position leave the bike alone, put the miles in and eat the right food and you should see your times drop.

50 minutes or so for that sort of milleage isnt shabby IMHO.

If you're going to spend money spend it on a wheel upgrade. But you're going to have to shell out a lot before you feel a difference that you notice. Probably all of your £500... Tyres can make a difference, lighter tyres with less rolling resistance might also make a difference.

Something like Michellin Pro Race 3's or a Continental GP4000S are a good "racier" tyre so maybe try that first. ( if they come in your wheel size )

Last edited by fizzwheel; 28-07-08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 28-07-08, 02:07 PM   #5
krhall

Fizzwheel - thanks your words of wisdom might have saved me a needless purchase. Will have a look at tyres, both changing the bikes and losing my middle one!!!!
Old 28-07-08, 02:36 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Takes me 50 mins to do slightly less milage than that. 11.6 miles to be honest its all about fitness and i have now found, cycling shorts! Might look at the shoes and pedal thing later on, 1st i need to raise my bars up as i get neck ache.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-08, 02:47 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
and losing my middle one!!!!
This is going to make the most difference. Also have a look at your pedalling style. Do you stick it in a big gear and "grind" the pedals round ? If so try a lower gear and "spin" the pedals at a higher RPM its more efficent that way ( once you get used to it ) and you'll find its less harsh on your knees etc etc

about anywhere between 70 - 85 turns of the pedals per minute ( cadence ) is where you want to try and aim for.

Old 28-07-08, 06:44 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Just to add, check the wheel axles are properly lubricated / greased. When I had my MTB I used to have them apart every couple of weeks and clean out all the crap and put in fresh grease. Made alot of differance after my freind showed me how to do it the first time...I found half a field inside my front wheel!!!

Matt
Old 29-07-08, 10:24 PM   #9
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
This is going to make the most difference. Also have a look at your pedalling style. Do you stick it in a big gear and "grind" the pedals round ? If so try a lower gear and "spin" the pedals at a higher RPM its more efficent that way ( once you get used to it ) and you'll find its less harsh on your knees etc etc

about anywhere between 70 - 85 turns of the pedals per minute ( cadence ) is where you want to try and aim for.
Fizzwheel - top tip on the cadence, tried to use this method on the way home and legs felt much fresher when I got home and the time was good too. Took a while to get used to.

Shame my chain fell off though - came off the rear sprocket and was a b**tard to put back on.

Found myself checking in my mirrors, trying to press the indicators on etc.........
Old 30-07-08, 06:09 AM   #10
MiniMatt

Trade your bicyle in for one of those motorcycles, your legs will feel so much fresher after a ride home.

Sorry, someone had to say it. I'm just slightly embarrased my humour has stooped to such levels....