SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-04, 09:50 PM   #1
jonkin2

Default Engine Replacment - 2000 SV650 SY

Riding home from work tonight at a fair lick, when the bike suddenly starts making a racket and feels like it running on 1 Cylinder.

Doesn't seem to be much oil left in the engine, and sounds like a bucket of bolts.

If I've dropped a bearing any ideas of the cost for repair? Would a Salvage engine be a better idea? Does it have to be from a 2000 model, or will any SV 650 engine do the job?

Wouldn't mind to much,but just spent a bomb on a service a few months ago and new tyres and suspension couple of weeks ago.

jonkin

ps. Now I realise why my mates were always moaning at me to check the oil etc.
Old 09-09-04, 10:42 PM   #2
jonboy

PM Rictus, he normally (!) fits a new engine for about £300. Does the oily work himself mind.

Old 09-09-04, 10:57 PM   #3
weegaz22

dump the oil and look at the colour of it, if theres metallic shavings in it then theres a problem, didnt your oil warning light come on?
Old 09-09-04, 11:05 PM   #4
Andy4us

Here in the US it's normally cheaper to get a decent used engine, they go for around $800 here. Any 99->02 will fit a 2000, but I would aim for a post 2000 as you're sure to get the engine changes related to the oil pickup.

Andy
Old 10-09-04, 08:10 AM   #5
jonkin2

Oil Light? Erm no, it didn't, But looking in the sight hole with the bike upright, after I fell over pushing it up the kerb and waiting an hour for a lift, it still looked empty.

jonkin
Old 10-09-04, 08:37 AM   #6
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkin2
...it still looked empty.
Doesn't mean there wasn't enough oil for the engine to operate just not within the manufacturer's tolerance. So you could be okay. Change oil and filter and see if it helps.

Old 10-09-04, 12:16 PM   #7
weegaz22

pull the bike towards you till you see the oil in the glass, what angle is the bike at? just a little off upright should be ok
Old 12-09-04, 11:34 PM   #8
Lockers

As long as the sump plug hasn't fallen out or your oil filter fallen off, then You'll be ok... Was it raining? The front cylinder might have just been cutting out due to a wet front spark plug... common thing, That would have made her feel pretty damn rough. Crack the sump and if there's any oil in there don't worry about your bearings.
Old 13-09-04, 09:25 AM   #9
jonkin2

Got the week off work ....
Will get the bike out of the back of my mates van later and have a look!
Will keep you updated, no doubt with more silly questions.

Regards,
JK
Old 13-09-04, 03:03 PM   #10
sexysi

Had a Grudgeon pin go on the front cylinder, this also made a bad noise, smoke came out of the exhaust when braking and lost top end power. Got it all done under warrenty, but this could be the problem, Suzuki have said they have had a couple go before, IE Bandit 600 as well.
sexysi