SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-10-06, 11:59 AM   #11
Stormspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Tell them you make a cracking cup of tea. All I ever see civils folk do is drink tea...
I drink coffee i'll have you know.

When i went for my interview i was basically asked a few questions n what i knew about civil engineering.

Find out a bit on Levelling using a tripod and automatic level and staff
Be brief about Theodolites ( basically a posh auto level that does elevation angles and horizontal angles.

Working in council (assuming manchester have same setup as barnsley) you'll get moved every 6 month into a different section to gain experience, e.g traffic management, structures, highway maintenance etc etc so mention traffic surveys and public complaints ( like 'theres a huge puddle infront of my path and i nearly drown in it last night' )

If you have any sort of physics/maths qualfication go into depth about the use of formulae and working with trig etc. these are te main things you'll use at college/ in work

HTH
Old 21-10-06, 12:39 PM   #12
Jp

Thanks for all the advice guys its much appreciated.

Im looking forward to it, i hope its not as negative as some people have portrayed, i dont mind taking the rough with the smooth though.

I have studied physics at A level but i never went onto uni, i didnt want to encrue (sp?) the debt.

So basically, demonstrate some knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject and no BS'ing, puts my mind to rest.

I might send some PM's out in the next few days while im researching things.

Thanks everyone