SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-02-17, 09:55 AM   #1
aesmith

Default Which Fender Extender sticky or rivet? (pointy)

Hi,

I need a front fender extender. My last bike originally had one fitted with self tapping screws, when that fell off I got a Red Fox which fixed with plastic rivets, however at that time I was in a hurry and needed to get something straight away. Also I already had holes in the mudguard.

So this time round, is there anything to choose between the various offerings? I'd like it as long as possible as neither of the previous ones protected the oil cooler. Are stick-on ones practical? I have no holes in the mudguard yet. I can take my time, for example letting glue dry before use.

Thanks,

Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 11:07 AM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which Fender Extender sticky or rivet? (pointy)

I fitted a cheap one from,"Bob's Bike Stuff" for a 1999 SV650.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV-...sAAOxy-WxTA-sj

£15+2.79 postage.Came reasonably fast I recall.

I didn't like the plastic rivets so used self tappers and two layers of double sided tape inside additional to the adhesive strips already on it.

If at some point I feel 3 self tappers are not enough I'll use a couple more and or use some twin-pack epoxy on the other side of the self tappers for security.

I might paint them black

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 26-02-17 at 12:32 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 11:33 AM   #3
macamxthe1st

I fitted a Pyramid Plastics stick on one. It has been on about eight months and its still there. I did however take great care cleaning the underside of the front mudguard but did it with the guard in situ. Really tempting fate with this reply as the next time I go out it will probably drop off and disappear.

Geoff.
Old 26-02-17, 12:03 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Fitted a pyramid one, comes with double sided tape and 4 plastic rivets - easy to fit and those plastic rivets are stronger than you think, but you need to use the correct drill size. Only had to take brake pipe bracket off and refit it (to be honest that was the trickiest bit).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 12:20 PM   #5
Blapper

Hmmm, Mine is fitted with four screws (po fitted it). The one I fitted on my R1150RT was secured by rivets. Better check mine is properly on there.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 12:24 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I'm glad this post came up as I wasn't 100% happy with using self tappers on there own even though mine seems secure so I've just been out to the bike and mixed up some twin pack epoxy(Pound shop as good as any other I've used) and removed the left and right hand side screws one at a time and applied some epoxy to the underside areas.Cleaned off with Carb/Brake cleaner and a rag(Spray cleaner into rag as it evaporates too quick if you spray it on the job.

Tip for Epoxy mixing little jobs.

I keep a stack of about 2.5" square cardboard mixing plates cut from old cereal packets.
Fold the cardboard mixing plate length-ways and then the other way so it has a cross in the middle.Then place over the end of your index finger and mold it into a little cup.This keeps the epoxy from spreading when you mix it.I use a Cotton bud with one head cut off or some old safety matches as a small mixing stick.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 26-02-17 at 12:26 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 01:19 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

car body panel adhesive sikaflex i think it was 512 or 221 it was black. or silicone sealant (the smelly stuff).

mine has been on for 6 years using body panel adhesive and never budged.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 02:05 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Sikaflex is great stuff, pretty much a polyurethane structural adhesive that cures when moisture gets near it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 03:25 PM   #9
aesmith

Lots of different Sikaflex products. The one I usually have is 291, rated for below the waterline. Big downside is that there seems to be no way on earth to keep it from going off once the tube's been opened. Some say keeping it in the freezer helps, I've not tried that.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-17, 04:11 PM   #10
Nutsinatin

I've had the stick on Pyramid one on my SV for 2 years, very quick and easy to do. I am a little careful not to put too much pressure on it when cleaning, but I've not had any issues.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote