SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-07-07, 08:42 AM   #1
wyrdness

Default New cameras - any ideas?

Gantrys holding a set of five cameras have started appearing on a lot of London dual-carriageways. I've seen three sets so far, on the A406 (North Circular) at Neasden, on the A312 and on the A4 near Hounslow, but according to this article, there are several others too. Does anyone have any idea what they're for? There's speculation that they might be for the new Low Emissions Zone (LEZ).
Old 19-07-07, 11:40 AM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: New cameras - any ideas?

its probably something to do with this.... http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ers/article.do

Makes me sick.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-07, 12:58 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
its probably something to do with this.... http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ers/article.do

Makes me sick.

Thats awful! a document was 'leaked' for us to get this information. It's just another method of targeting the drivers who are licensed and insured. Why can't they put this anpr system to use against the 2million unisured/unlicensed/unroadworthy drivers?!
Old 19-07-07, 01:00 PM   #4
Sudoxe

They are on the A40 heading to/from savoy circus from shepards bush too.

Foward facing only on the once i've seen.

Dan
Old 19-07-07, 01:09 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Thats because once they're set up we'll be expected to drive on the right hand side because Brussels says so They'll convert speed limits really simply too, 30mph -> 30kmph....
Old 19-07-07, 07:29 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Thats because once they're set up we'll be expected to drive on the right hand side because Brussels says so They'll convert speed limits really simply too, 30mph -> 30kmph....
if they thought they could get away with that they'd do it tomorrow and call it a "security measure in these troubled times"

Since reading this post earlier today i've kept my eyes open for more of these camera gantries.

Saw a set on either side of the carriageway along Brompton Road/A4 and Kensington High Street too.

If i had the money i'd emmigrate somewhere tomorrow.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-07, 06:20 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

There are cities such as newcastle which were designed with roads that can be easily converted to go the other way!
Old 20-07-07, 06:45 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Big Brother gets bigger and bolder by the day and will continue to do so until the great British public wake up and get off their fat complacent ar&es and start kicking some ar&se.Ultimately it won't be a nice pleasant reasoned debate either.It will be a brutal struggle between those who have massive power from this technology and those willing to resist it.They won't relingquish that sort of power easily.
Old 21-07-07, 09:34 AM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

....and on the subject of cameras, someone on another forum posted this

As a result of recent changes the police are no longer to receive the
revenue from mobile speed cameras. They are therefore exempt from the requirements to publicise them. The first police force to follow this
is Cumbria, but others are likely to follow suit. You cannot rely on a
Road Angel or other similar device to provide you with accurate and up-
to-date information on camera locations."

make of it what you will.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-07, 08:50 PM   #10
will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
if they thought they could get away with that they'd do it tomorrow and call it a "security measure in these troubled times"

Since reading this post earlier today i've kept my eyes open for more of these camera gantries.

Saw a set on either side of the carriageway along Brompton Road/A4 and Kensington High Street too.

If i had the money i'd emmigrate somewhere tomorrow.
we've got road tolls and speed cameras now . mind you speeding fine is bugger all compared to UK and camera only triggers at 150kph, and the road toll is about 60p. spidey, you know you're always welcome!