SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-10-21, 09:09 PM   #10111
redtrummy

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Thanks re battery type info. I did consider Powerline but made the wrong choice!
Heading for a small op on Monday so will have to wait until we are up, out and about again.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-21, 09:29 PM   #10112
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Thanks re battery type info. I did consider Powerline but made the wrong choice!
Heading for a small op on Monday so will have to wait until we are up, out and about again.
Hope the op goes well and you have a speedy recovery!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-21, 10:09 PM   #10113
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
A E time to DIY! Loads of soles to suit on ebay or amazon. Remove old soles with the aid of a heat gun - should not cost more than £20
my very first job was in Timpsons. you will fek your boots if you try and take the sole off with a heat gun as it will also soften the glue everywhere else, not a good idea.

you need a belt/drum sander clamped to a vise/workbench and grind the old sole off being careful not to go into the inner sole part, you just want to sand the sole flat. also sand the upper part of the new sole. you then apply evostick impact adhesive (must be the really smelly stuff that you can get high off) to both sole and boot and let it dry preferably overnight.

clamp your boot in a vice or workbench so you can apply a lot of pressure to the sole.

once dry put your grill on and let it get hot. once hot heat the new sole glue side till it starts to bubble then take out of grill and immediately attach to the boot sole and press like fek to stick it together (you can also use a mallet to batter it on).

set boots aside and let them cool. once cool take a sharp knife and trim the new sole around the edge of the old sole line then sand the edge with the belt sander.

if your boots have a stitched on sole then dont even think about replacing the sole.

Last edited by Bibio; 28-10-21 at 10:10 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 08:07 AM   #10114
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Regarding boots, I had a pair of Sidi black rain boots many years ago. Lovely boots and very comfortable but the soles were made of cheese and wore out very quickly. Its not like I walked in them much, just normal riding. I bought one of those stick on sole kits from Timpsons which worked fine and when that wore down I did it again and glued another on top of the previous one. Kept them going for a few more years.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 29-10-21, 08:54 AM   #10115
redtrummy

very interesting Bibio, guess I have been lucky then with my efforts! I also have used Freesole urethane glue to repair heels and welts on walking boots. It really does stick but also wears away quickly,I have replaced the back inch or so of the heel of wife's walking boots by cutting/sanding the worn part square and sticking a cut to shape piece in its place.(She walks on her heels) using Freesole as the adhesive. Never failed

Thanks Gary for the best wishes
Old 29-10-21, 10:22 AM   #10116
Bibio
Mega Poster

that freesole sounds like wader repair and inner tube glue.

as far as i'm aware Timpsons still use the impact adhesive and heat method.

i do know that those new uv cure adhesives work very well on most stuff, top tip its just uv cure acrylic nail polish.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 01:53 PM   #10117
redtrummy

This is the stuff I have used
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362921362...MAAOSw3KtgUuUd
(not from Aussie land though! Listings seem to have dried up - but then glue does!)
Always had great sucsess with it but it aint cheap

I think there was one specially made for wader/rubber repairs

Question is AE with an expert on hand are you going to give it a go? If so take some pics!
Old 29-10-21, 02:09 PM   #10118
ethariel

I discovered Daytona boots after years of playing with different models of Sidi and others.

2 pairs of Daytona's in the past 12 years, the sole could do with replacing but seems like the gore liner dies pretty much dead on the 6 year mark, tho the current price of them these days is making me balk at pulling the trigger on new ones.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-21, 04:17 PM   #10119
redtrummy

At this rate Bibio could run a master class!
Old 29-10-21, 08:55 PM   #10120
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Went into local Timpsons today for price to replace one 175mm zip on side of my favourite Gaerne leather boots.
They quoted £57 for a heavy duty zip - that's for fitting one zip on one boot ! How can it be that much ? ��
I am looking elsewhere .
Found a cobblers shop which is replacing the damaged zip with a new heavy duty zip for £20,which sounds good to me.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote