SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-06, 09:27 PM   #1
Torn-Thorax

Default Lower triple clamp

I want to remove my lower triple clamp to clean it up. (rust and crud) Do I need to have a front stand for this, how hard is it to remove/replace. (im thinking of buying one off ebay as my current one is in baaaaad shape.
Old 15-09-06, 10:25 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Just the opposite, to remove the lower yoke you need to have the front totally free, a front stand will get you nowhere. An Abba stand (mount centrally) and a trolley jack is ideal for this, or a rear paddockstand a trolley jack and something to balance the bike on the jack (some mates or some rope to the garage roof).
Old 15-09-06, 11:51 PM   #3
Torn-Thorax

Yeah, sorry, I meant a head stand. I was hoping i could just remove the lower yoke and replace it with the bike free standing.
Old 16-09-06, 05:59 AM   #4
Stig

That I believe will also not work. Those type of stands use the yolks to support the bike.

The best way is as has been said, an abba type stand. I have a nice handy cut to size block of wood that fits under the engine block to lift the front of the engine of the ground. Leaves the front completly clear to strip right back if required.

Using a rear paddock stand, it can be done the same way, but is far less stable and you will need to make sure the bike is supported.