SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-04-13, 07:34 PM   #1
punkyp

Default bone marrow donation.

I've just registered to be a donor, http://www.anthonynolan.org, they need more young males apparently.

Have a look at what is involved and consider registering. The Facebook message from a woman thanking the anonymous donor for saving her little girls life convinced me.
Old 16-04-13, 07:41 PM   #2
Fruity-ya-ya

Default Re: bone marrow donation.

Nice work. :thumbup: Already signed up and give blood regularly myself.
Old 16-04-13, 08:00 PM   #3
BigBaddad

I'm too old, apparently?

Seriously, you have to be quite young to be on the register. I've tried, seams a bit silly as they desperately want donors
Old 16-04-13, 08:45 PM   #4
punkyp

I couldn't work that out, you can donate at any age, but there's an upper age limit to registering.
Old 16-04-13, 09:00 PM   #5
SvNewbie

I've been registered for 9 years or so. My cousin donated years ago which convinced me. Thankfully I've never had the call, but would do it in a minute if I was a match.
Old 17-04-13, 07:09 AM   #6
punkyp

Did your cousin get to find out if it worked and the recipient survived?
Old 17-04-13, 07:51 AM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I've been on it for years after lots of us at Sony Music got tested to see if anyone was a match for a musician'short younger brother. Sadly we weren't and he died but I would do it for sure. I know it's painful but if you can save a life then it would be worth it.
Old 17-04-13, 08:03 AM   #8
punkyp

From looking at the website, 9 times out of 10 the harvest seems to be using a method of a few injections then a few hours on a machine that the blood goes into and comes out of and not the method that people say is painful.

Seems it is a couple of days out of your life with some hassle to potentially save a life.
Old 17-04-13, 12:37 PM   #9
ChrisCurvyS

Good on you all for registering. I work in this field and while it might seem daft, the upper age limit is there for economic reasons mainly.

Basically, Anthony Nolan etc need to spend their money processing applications from people who will be on the register for many years to come, ie younger people, rather than older people who cost the same to register but will not be 'available' to donate for as long. Bear in mind most people who register will never be called on to donate and you'll hopefully understand the logic.

However, first-time blood donors are welcome up to the age of 65 and you can carry on donating as long as your health allows once you've started. Also, people of all ages can sign up to the Organ Donor Register (www.organdonation.nhs.uk) and you almost always donate tissues, even if your organs aren't suitible. Oldest cornea donor was 103!

So plenty of ways to help even if you can't donate bone marrow.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-13, 12:58 PM   #10
punkyp

Harvest me for what ever is needed after I'm done with it, I ticked the box when registering at the docs.

I'm giving blood on Monday too, first donation.