SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-04-13, 10:48 AM   #31
daveyrach

Default Re: BBC's The One Show 11/04/2013 - Speeding Bikers

I did reference that link in my complaint.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-13, 10:48 AM   #32
ClunkintheUK

I have found myself being in the misunderstood and hated minority too many times allow myself to keep getting worked up about things like this.

I didn't play football at school, or any of the "man's" sports according a many of my peers. I've been a cyclist in London for decades, though oddly the hatred of cyclists is quite new in my experience, last five years or so. I started working in Finance in 2008 (yeah bright move that one).

Honestly all the blind hatred I have heard about for these groups has all been reported in the papers rather then directed at me, with a couple of exceptions of mates of mates taking exception to drinking with a banker, and frankly I was never too worried about the loss there. Yes there are people who deliberately try to p*ss off bikers, as Agy says, but i have found quite often they are really easy to spot and just let them do their thing and filter away from them. Now if I could only stop swearing at them when they do it i'll be set.
Old 16-04-13, 04:15 PM   #33
disco2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkintheUK View Post
I've been a cyclist in London for decades,
I drive an artic and to be honest I hate going into town with a passion.. You just cant see all the cyclist and no matter how small a gap they will fill it. The worst thing is sitting at lights trying to turn left you keep over to the right to give yourself enough room to make the turn and it gets filled with 9000 bikes.

Going fast on a straight country lane on a motorbike is nothing as brave as riding a push in London.....
Old 16-04-13, 05:00 PM   #34
kiggles

That subject will never hit the TV because people won't watch it. I would say a lot of people don't like bikes compared to the people that do. So people won't care.
Old 16-04-13, 06:12 PM   #35
ClunkintheUK

I Won't argue that Disco2. I've seen some horrific cycling in London and Bristol. My point was there is a step between "lots of Cyclists/bikers/wombat enthusiasts are idiots" to "All cyclists have a death wish so i'm not going to bother looking out for them".

Even as a cyclist I get very annoyed at a lot of other cyclists, but then I get annoyed at Minicabs, scooters, buses, 4X4's, Minis, People Carriers, pedestrians all with very specific complaints to the particular group. I just think that most people do not think much beyond what is right in front of their nose whatever vehicle they use.

I have had another cyclist properly shouting at me for getting in the way because i did not go up the inside of an artic that was indicating left. I got out his way then funnily enough he had to jump on the pavement 2 seconds later, and I sailed past overtaking the lorry on the right hand side.
Old 16-04-13, 08:12 PM   #36
BigBaddad

Don't worry about what a bunch of pedophiles has to say about us. I'm sure they're only trying to divert attention away from themselves.
Old 16-04-13, 09:44 PM   #37
otaylor38

Funny how we are all 'taking our bikes to the limit' at 100mph, yet that police busa is 'a superbike capable of nearly 190 mph'.

Thats it then guys, we reach our limit at nearly half the speed of the police, no matter what we ride .

Seriously though. Not fair saying we all ride like that. I bet a fair few car drivers have gone balls out over that apparently good (never ridden it myself) road. But thats fine, cos its a car.
Old 17-04-13, 04:44 PM   #38
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I complained to the BBC as I felt that this report was one of the most biased, unbalanced, patronising and uneccessary attempt to persecute bikers.

Here's what I got back!

Quote:
Dear Mr Speirs

Thanks for contacting us regarding ‘The One Show’ from 11 April on BBC One.

We understand you were unhappy with Anita Rani’s report on motorcycles on the B1248 link road in East Yorkshire as you felt it was biased against bikers.

This item reported on a specific operation by Humberside police to monitor dangerous driving by some motorcyclists in their area, and was not a criticism of motorcyclists in general. Care was taken to ensure the piece was balanced, and a police officer interviewed in the film made it clear that only a minority of motorcyclists were to blame. We also heard the views of several motorcyclists. The presenter acknowledged that motorcyclists want to stay safe, and when the aftermath of a collision between a car and a motorcycle was shown, was careful not to apportion blame without the facts. Road safety is important to our viewers, and we are confident that this item was a fair and balanced report on a serious issue.

We’d also like to assure you we've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is an internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily and is available for viewing by all our staff. This includes all programme makers and channel controllers, along with our senior management. It ensures that your points, along with all other comments we receive, are considered across the BBC.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-13, 05:08 PM   #39
ClunkintheUK

That is.... annoying and condescending.
Old 17-04-13, 05:25 PM   #40
Fordward

exact same response i got which means they've had enough complaints to write a stock answer to send to everyone