SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-08, 12:34 PM   #1
Fizzy Fish

Default Steering head bearings - lifespan?

Just after some opinions as to how long steering head bearings should last, given appropriate attention at specified service intervals, no wheelies and minimal riding over speed humps, etc

Mine went at c. 17K miles, and I'm wandering whether to push for them to be fixed under warranty...

EDIT: Whoops! should have put this in the other section as it's about a gixxer...

Last edited by Fizzy Fish; 30-06-08 at 12:45 PM.
Old 30-06-08, 12:47 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Steering head bearings - lifespan?

Hmmmmmm, well the CB is on 26k and has no problem, the speed triple is on 85k and has no problem (in fact I can't remember having to do them on any of the triumphs and most were over 100k) , the t'bird is on 19k and guess what, also has no problem.

Whilst it's possible to wear them out in a short time/low mileage it's normally down to them not being tightened properly at some stage (yes I know you's is serviced, but did they actually doing or tighten up the locking nut ?), unless of course it's something to do with lightweight and designed to be replaced sooner* ?

*you never know these days, save an ounce here or there, you always pay for it somewhere else.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-08, 01:52 PM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

The steering head bearings on the Kwak died at ~16k, the next set have done 24k so far with no signs of wear. I think the major difference was that the first set had been installed by the factory "sans grease" and I hadn't done anything about it. Bearings on bikes never seem to have any of the damn stuff in out of the factory.

So I'd say it may be a toughie under warranty, but a set put in and greased frequently (I re-grease every time I've got the forks out, about every 10k or so) will last much longer.

Jambo

Edit: Ask for it to be done under warranty. You never know.
Old 30-06-08, 01:59 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

to be honest if I had my bike dealer serviced I would expect them to have re-greased them before now wouldn't you ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-08, 01:59 PM   #5
Fizzy Fish

cheers guys - just had a word and managed to get it put through under warranty
Old 30-06-08, 04:16 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quite right too.I had a wheel bearing fail on a ZX6R some years ago and got that done under warranty.It had not been properly greased at the factory and they dont seem to learn do they?
Old 30-06-08, 06:37 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Steering bearings last no time if they're too tight, not enough people - even those who really ought to know - seem to be able to set them right.
Most riders can tell if they're loose 'cos they knock, but very few seem able to tell if they're too tight, even with the effect that has on the steering.

They need to be adjusted so they're only just tight enough to have no play, but not be loaded. Like that they'll last well and work right too.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote