SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-08, 07:02 PM   #1
Horney

Default A twist of the wrist 2

Anybody read the book buy Keith Code and did you find it useful?

I've just bought it and waiting on delivery

Cheers
Old 13-02-08, 07:14 PM   #2
Stradders

Default Re: A twist of the wrist 2

Hi

Just bought the books (both book 1 and 2). They arrived yesterday and although I have not had time to read them, they look OK. I have also got the DVD which seems OK, although I have not really had time to get past the first 5 minutes.

If you are interested in DVDs or stuff to improve your riding, I was recommended to the Mike Waite site (http://www.mikewaite.co.uk/front/) and there are some good videos to watch. I have also bought the DVD for that and it is very good.

Let me know what you think.

Stradders
Old 13-02-08, 07:29 PM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horney View Post
Anybody read the book buy Keith Code and did you find it useful?

I've just bought it and waiting on delivery

Cheers
I think they are very good. I have both 1 & 2 - 1 is probably better and easier to get into to.

Don't expect a step by step guide on how to become a riding god - that's not really how they are written, but there is some very good information in there
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 11:32 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't like Code's writing... I think he's possibly the best bike trainer in the world but I don't think he's effective at getting his ideas down on paper, he tells you what but he's not so good at why. All to often it ends up being basically commandments, rather than explanation leading to understanding. Not read TOTW2 though, just 1 and his magazine columns.

I like Andy Ibbott's writing more- he's the european CSS head, so he's basically reading from the exact same songbook but he's got a better writing style IMO. With Code's insight and Ibbott's written teaching you get a better result I think.

Having said that, I'd kill for a day's training with Keith Code...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-08, 10:04 PM   #5
lukewalton

I got TOTR 2 - it's alright, but it seems to me a lot of it is track focussed. The way he writes is odd - he has a glossary at the back of each chapter for random words, simple words (for example "actually" "determine" etc) (I have the book by me as I type this - been reading it lately to try and gain some confidence). He helps you understand counterproductive survival reactions (such as panic braking) very well, makes you more conscious of them thus helping you overcome them. Also helps you understand a lot of cornering issues too.
Old 15-02-08, 11:24 PM   #6
philbut

Yeah, pretty track focused. i read number 2, but I did pick up quite a lot of useful stuff. It's not for novice riders, but still a good read. Some stuff is a bit OTT if you only ride on the road, but still worth having. they aint expensive anyway. Kept me entertained when the missiz insisted on watching a girly film!
Old 15-02-08, 11:38 PM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

You should read Twist 1 rather than 2. A lot of people here (including myself) went out and bought Twist 2 - maybe because it's newer with more up-to-date info? Same as the first but with amendments? I don't know. Howver a friend bought me Twist 1 as a present and it is much better! There is no stupid glossary at the end of each chapter (I found this annoying too!) and the information is much easier to digest.

One thing though of my experience with the Twist books and CSS, is a lot of teaching is geared around you, the rider figuring out the answers. Seems daft, but there are loads of rhetorical questions in the book designed to make you think about it rather than given a straight answer. Some people find this disconcerting and would rather someone just said:

"Do A quickly and B will happen, do it slowly and C will happen."

I personally found the Twist's et al way of teaching a helpful technique and made me think about the 'why' rather than just the 'what'. I also appreciate that it's not for everyone. On a side note, all of the stuff is totally applicable to road riding- he just uses a lot of track examples when describing things.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-08, 09:49 AM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Agree with Andy - Code is the right word for it, but there's a lot of good info in there despite the less than entirely accessible writing style.

Book 1 slightly better than 2, but generally speaking it's the same info.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote