SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-09, 07:28 PM   #1
nik_nunez

Default MCE insurance - warning

called mce and they said they would beat my quote for my bike insurance, which they did said the excess are the same and £50 cheaper for the insurance. Great i thought will buy it now (and the woman on the phone was a bit pushy saying things like "this is a now only offer, i cant offer it tomorrow") this was yesterday.

today the phone rings from mce (a day after i paid) saying my excess had been changed from £350 to £700 and the price had gone up. So as you would expect i was not best pleased having only paid for it less than 24 hrs ago. She went away saying she would speak to her boss to sort it. Many hours later I rang back and was told they cant do anything. So i cancelled the policy to be told it could take 3 weeks before i get my money back. I was again not best pleased at the service, I have not had time to read their website about refunds but 3 weeks seems a bit excessive.

so just a warning
Old 03-07-09, 07:38 PM   #2
custard

Default Re: MCE insurance - warning

doesnt the 90 days thing stand for a quote?
Old 03-07-09, 08:46 PM   #3
Fuzz

Well as far as I can see, you entered a contract with them the moment you paid, and you agreed to the policy as it was stated to you at that time. I can't see it legally possible for either party to change the contract without both parties accepting the changes. It's like buying a TV at a reduced price, and then the store asks you for the full price the next day. It doesn't happen because it's not legal. I suggest you take it as far as you can with MCE's complaints procedure, and escalate it to someone like the OFT if they don't resolve it.

I checked their website out and it doesn't state how long a refund will take, but 3 weeks seems far too excessive. After all, you need insurance, and who can afford to effectively be paying for 2 policies?

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-07-09 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-07-09, 08:49 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

another happy customer, looks as tho im not the only one

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:56 PM   #5
shonadoll

That's just robbery. Am astounded they can do that. Utter shysters.
Old 03-07-09, 09:06 PM   #6
Mighty Boosh

Yep i too have had problems with MCE.

Click on this link to air your views on them.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/MCE__53.htm

If it stops just one person taking out a policy with them

then i'll be .
Old 03-07-09, 09:16 PM   #7
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Boosh View Post
Yep i too have had problems with MCE.

Click on this link to air your views on them.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/MCE__53.htm

If it stops just one person taking out a policy with them

then i'll be .
filled in my review, seems most people have had the same problems as me

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 10:56 PM   #8
nik_nunez

they said the quote i paid for had not been agreed with the underwriters so they had to change it once it had, so they just seem to give the " we can beat any quote" line and then hope you dont mind when they increase it all a day later
Old 04-07-09, 08:44 AM   #9
Kuze

I recommend Bennetts, they got the cheapest quote for me (after some haggling on the fone :P). Plus they've been nothing but helpful and a wonderful service. Friendly staff and EVEN nice sales staff who werent pushy.

Being an ex sales (i stopped cos most of are vipers) bloke I'd say this. If they start getting pushy you know 3 things.

One they are working for the best deal for them not you
Two its all bull**** or something is being hidden from you
Three they are desperate and will say/do anything for that sale including ****ing u over

Ta
Old 04-07-09, 01:02 PM   #10
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuze View Post
I recommend Bennetts, they got the cheapest quote for me
I hate to say it but I thought Bennetts had a pretty poor reputation for service once you're with them - claims, renewals, etc, taking money and not giving it back, all sorts. It's actually the only company I consistently hear as not recommended