SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-01-06, 10:10 PM   #41
Skip
Mega Poster

I paid £800 for a 1988 BMW E30 325i Touring with 155,000 miles and a FULL BMW service history - it goes like stink (170hp) - get loads of stuff in the back and it looks cool too (IMHO) - I looked for ages when I first got the bike and for under a grand E30s are the way to go!

I know of a couple of them for sale with good histories for similar money...
Old 26-01-06, 10:15 PM   #42
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Not keen on the look of the touring. Whats the insurance and running costs like, have you had many problems with it ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-06, 12:16 AM   #43
Peter Henry

I also used to own a 5 cylinder Audi Coupe and have to say it was a superb motor.

There ws this once when I went over to Germany in it to visit the wife of an American Army chap. He was away on manouvres in Italy whilst I........
Old 27-01-06, 08:24 AM   #44
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Not keen on the look of the touring. Whats the insurance and running costs like, have you had many problems with it ?
Im 28 with max NCD and its £230 fully comp! Does an average 25mpg (not great but ooooh the noise! lol) and they are pretty bullet proof if you get a looked after one... 2 door saloons are the next most saught after...

Mine needed two lower ball joints for the MOT and thats it...

Oh and dont forget all of this action that you can have...!

25Mb file - but worth it!
Old 27-01-06, 08:41 AM   #45
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
I also used to own a 5 cylinder Audi Coupe and have to say it was a superb motor.

There ws this once when I went over to Germany in it to visit the wife of an American Army chap. He was away on manouvres in Italy whilst I........
Some people really have no shame...

Going over to Germany in an Audi?!
Old 27-01-06, 08:53 AM   #46
tricky

My two penneth worth:

I always liked Siroccos when I was a kid.
I think the practicality would (or lack of) would start to annoy you after a while. Is that webber factory fit or has it been meddled with ?
Modded cars make me suspicious, what else has been done and to what degree of proficiency ?

The Audi looks very nice but its done 147Kand its the oldest car, the engines may be bomb proof but milage also takes its toll on steering racks, shocks, springs, linkages etc.

How many miles has the Honda done ?
Its the newest car and Honda build quality is top notch.

With any car this age/milage get it checked by someone who knows what their doing.
Hope this helps
Old 27-01-06, 08:57 AM   #47
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont think its a factory fit on the Scirrocco, also I am convinced its had a respray, The Dragon Green colour wasnt availabe until 1994 I think and thats a 92 car, so I was a bit suspicous of that to start with. TBH if its all been done properly it shouldnt be a problem. Not particularly bothered about practicality, I dont do a huge amount of car miles, I just wanted something I could do a bit of shopping in and run about in for those times where a bike isnt really practical.

I dont know the milleage of the Honda but I suspect its high, my brother used to work for a Honda dealer so I am going to have a chat with him about the Honda, he works for Toyota garage, but part of the same group is the Local Audi / VW dealer so I can get him to find out more about the Scirrocco or Audi.

I havent had the cheque for my car yet so I am just waiting on that to be sorted at the mo

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-06, 09:00 AM   #48
richwill68

Mornin'!
Old 27-01-06, 05:42 PM   #49
Ceri JC

I used to have a 106. It certainly feels slow after bigger/more powerful cars and you can forget about overtaking, but it handles really well and is fun. Approach it in the right frame of mind and you'll have a great laugh. I'm in the same position myself now I need a car for work (moving 2 servers on the back of a bike could be entertaining). The way I'm looking at it is I'm only going to be using it when other people need a lift, I need to transport things or if the weather is icey, I don't need anything fast or flash.
Old 27-01-06, 08:48 PM   #50
RandyO

front wheel drive sucks, I's look for a 3 series bimmer