SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-07, 10:54 AM   #1
medwaysv

Default oil and filter change

hi there ref the title
just done it and filled up with just over 2700mm (which the manual recommends) and run the engine up for 5 mins
oil preassure light has gone out so ok there
my question is, when you stand the bike upright should the oil sight fill straight away or should i let it all sink to the bottom before checking level

dont get me wrong, ive done plenty of oil and filter changes before but always on old dogs of bikes where i didnt care so much but this is the first one ive done on my sv and i dont want to nause it up

cheers folks
Old 08-05-07, 11:42 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: oil and filter change

It all depends on whether the bike has been run or not, if its cold then it might take a little time for the oil to move into possition. But if its warm after a run then the oil will move quicker but you won't get a correct reading as some oil may well be in other places. I normally wait about ten minutes after running the engine before I check my levels.
Old 08-05-07, 01:06 PM   #3
medwaysv

Default Re: oil and filter change

nice one
just been pottering round doing other things and then checked
all seems fine
thanks for that