SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-05, 07:35 AM   #1
mysteryjimbo

Default Honda Hornet Question!

Hi,

A question for those in the know (jabba i think that includes you). What sort of mileage should i get out of a full tank of petrol on a CB600 doing fast commuting on (70% A-roads, 30% town roads)?

The main reason i ask is i dont like not having a petrol light/gauge and relying on a reserve switch.

I'll be glad to get my SV back.

Cheers!
Old 04-01-05, 08:35 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

When i had my Hornet(yes i had one fro 2 months) I used to return around 90 to reserve on a good day, 75-80 on full hoon mode
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 08:38 AM   #3
mysteryjimbo

Bugger!! Thats a small tank. I'll be filling up every other day.

Tomorrow lunch time fill up it is then.
Old 04-01-05, 08:44 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Bugger!! Thats a small tank. I'll be filling up every other day.

Tomorrow lunch time fill up it is then.
Na, its a reasonable size tank its just that hondas are thirsty bikes. My mates storm on hoon mode, is lucky to get 65 miles to a tank. It returns around 23-26mpg

I will say that i did manage to get 125 mile out of the hornet, that was all on the motorway, but it is possible,
Old 04-01-05, 08:52 AM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Thats pretty poor milage.. and a reserve tap?! Silly primative hornets. The idea of the engine dying while going full tilt down the motorway doesnt appeal
Old 04-01-05, 08:57 AM   #6
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel

Thats pretty poor milage.. and a reserve tap?! Silly primative hornets. The idea of the engine dying while going full tilt down the motorway doesnt appeal
Likewise....hence the question! At least i have a good idea how far i can go before i start sweating......
Old 04-01-05, 09:04 AM   #7
Jabba

What year Hornet do you have? Loan bike?

Mine's an '03 and it has a (reliable) fuel light that comes on before any need to fiddle with the reserve switch. The fuel light is orange in colour and is on the left-hand of the two columns of lights between the clocks (assuming an '03 or later bike). I know of some Hornet owners who leave the switch on reserve all the time and rely upon the light, but I'm not one of 'em. I switch to reserve after the light has come on.

With the sort of riding you indicate, i.e mainly 4th/5th/6th gears and below 6000 revs, you should be getting around 150 miles to the reserve light, from which point I'm told that there is about 20 miles left in the 17litre tank. 50-55mpg is easily achieved out of town without too much restraint. The best tank range I've had is 160miles, the lowest about 140. And that was mainly with town riding.

Brim-filling the tank is a bit of a pain as the shape of the tank causes an air bubble which means that the last half-litre needs to be dribble in slowly. Fill to the brim and then top up a couple of times as the level drops. Without a doubt, this is the only niggle that I have with the bike.

The mileage/tank range that Viney quotes ( ) would be for a pre-03 bike which had a smaller tank and was a more thirsty beast anyway. The '03 and later bikes have a revised ignition sytem which improved fuel consumption.

There seems to be a marked different in fuel comsumption/tank range reported amongst users of the Hornet's Nest message board (yes, there's somewhere to go other than here ) and, from what I can judge, those with better comsumption/tank range have '03 and later bikes.

In short, I doubt that you'll be filling up any more often than you would on your SV.

Enjoy the 13,000rpm red-line - the howl is addictive
Old 04-01-05, 09:14 AM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Yep, 03 loan model. Def will consider it if my SV gets written off.

I shall have a look for that light at lunch time. I never noticed it and simply assumed as it had a fuel tap it didnt have one. That mileage sounds a bit better.

I've noticed the howl already. Not touched the redline yet, i think the highest rev's i've had were in the region of 10,000.

Easy to wheelie it away from the lights though...... crappy impreza thought it could beat me at 6:30 this morning......HA!
Old 04-01-05, 09:17 AM   #9
Jabba

Quote:

See my post above. There is a fuel light and it come on before the reserve tap needs to be switched.

Does the SV have a fuel guage? If not then the Hornet, with its low fuel warning light and reserve tap, is actually less likely to leave you stranded without fuel.

See my comments above with regard to fuel consumption/tank range. The figures that Viney quotes, whilst no doubt genuine, are for pre-'03 bikes. Honda had to sort the fuel consumption out for '03 and later bikes due to the standard fitment of a cat-conv in the exhaust. A knock on benefit is improved fuel consumtion. '03 bikes also have a larger tank.

I don't mind p155-taking or knocking of other folks bikes (it's part of the fun ), but please could this be done from a position of knowledge?
Old 04-01-05, 09:23 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Quote:

See my post above. There is a fuel light and it come on before the reserve tap needs to be switched.

Does the SV have a fuel guage? If not then the Hornet, with its low fuel warning light and reserve tap, is actually less likely to leave you stranded without fuel.

See my comments above with regard to fuel consumption/tank range. The figures that Viney quotes, whilst no doubt genuine, are for pre-'03 bikes. Honda had to sort the fuel consumption out for '03 and later bikes due to the standard fitment of a cat-conv in the exhaust. A knock on benefit is improved fuel consumtion. '03 bikes also have a larger tank.

I don't mind p155-taking or knocking of other folks bikes (it's part of the fun ), but please could this be done from a position of knowledge?
That is true Young Jabba. I had a 98 model and those where the figures i was getting. Nice to seee tha they have sorted it, 'cause that was the only thing that spolilt the hornets fun, which is is/was.