SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 17-01-09, 10:12 AM   #1
Baph

Default Baph's Euro-Tripe

Anyone that's seen it will know the reference.

I'm hoping to get a trip around a small section of Europe done this year, and figured that a thread on the .Org would be a good place to plan it all, as you guys could provide input as/when you see fit.

NB, I'll be editing this post throughout to keep the information here updated. I've yet to go through the links sticky thread in this section, so I don't feel that this thread should be referenced there, yet.

Date: (unconfirmed), I'm hoping to leave the AR (which means early August), then head off to Europe, as I'd already be most of the way there, so it makes sense to leave from the AR.

Route: This is pretty much confirmed, although I could end up doing a much reduced version of it. Fuel stops (suggested ones anyway) will be added to the maps as/when I have the chance. I'm planning to cover approx 200 miles per day, starting from Calais going anti-clockwise around the French coast, taking in some twisties. Then through Italy to the Alps, into Germany then back through France to Calais. Calais - Calais I'm hoping to achieve in 17 days.

Accomodation: I'm unsure at this point. Possibly camping, possible B&Bs. Maybe even a mixture. I also need to look into availability etc. I know many people just ride & find somewhere, so that's an option too.

NOTE: I have changed the routes, half the original distance per day, and more distance overall to take in some more twisties.

Day 1: Depart from the AR, down to Dover. Once off the boat, follow the coast pretty much into Le-Harve. Map here. Should I end up doing the reduced version, Day 2 will consist of heading back to Calais from this point, then it'll be converted to a Normandy Beach attack.

Day 2: Le Harve to Marcey-les-Greves. Again, coastline work. Map here.

Thanks to G for camera avoidance advice.

Day 3: Marcey-Les-Greves to Morlaix. Map here.
Day 4: Morlaix to Lorient. Map here.
Day 5: Lorient to La-Rochelle-sur-Yon. I'm hoping to get out on to Noirmoutier-en-I'lle if possible, purely for novelty. But that can be chopped out if needed. Map here.
Day 6: La-Rochelle-sur-Yon to Bordeaux. Map here.
Day 7: Bordeaux to Carcassonne. Autoroute mile muncher. Map here.
Day 8: Carcassonne to Montpellier. Nice & twisty to recover from the boredom of Day 7. Map here.
Day 9: Montpellier to Orange. More twisties. Map here.
Day 10: Orange to Lac de Ste Crox. More twisties. Map here.
Day 11: Lac de Ste Crox to Formeaux. Finishing within spitting distance of the Italy border. Map here.
Day 12: Formeaux to Portirone. Mile muncher again. Map here.
Day 13: Portirone to Chur. Stelvio. Map here.
Day 14: Chur to Zurich, the long way. Map here.
Day 15: Zurich to Strasburg. Twisties. Map here.
Day 16: Strasburg to Sedan. Avoiding the major roads. Map here.
Day 17: Sedan to Calais. Map here.

Cost: Ferry is around £36 at the moment (compared against the tunnel at £110!!). Fuel per day, I'm working on an average of 1.5 tanks a day, which at current prices means £23. Total fuel for the journey (Calais - Calais) being £391. Accommodation, unknown. Food, call it £30/day - making £510 to live like a king on the trip. Total cost estimated (without accomodation): £901.

If you then assume £30 for accomodation, the trip cost works out at £1411. But realistically, it wouldn't be this as I'm rounding everything up.

The whole thing, from my house & back, including the AR, I'm hoping to do in 20 days.

Any comments welcome, as is anyone that wants to join me on the trip. Though at the moment I'm not sure if I'll get to do it, if I don't plan it, it'll never happen!

Now for the thinking out loud:

Things I still need to know/sort:
Ferry times/prices.
Accomodation - ad-hoc or pre-booked? Tentage or B&B?
Does my phone work abroad? Roaming costs?
Location of fixed camera sites enroute.
Am I taking GPS (NavMan)? Or just relying on the old "point & squirt" method of route finding? If taking GPS, can I mark out known camera sites?
In order to take the GPS, wiring on the bike needs sorting to accomodate charging/running GPS.
The NavMan needs a water-tight case before it can be used, and will need a bike mount.

Things still needed:
E111/EHIC (or equivalent EU medical cover) - apply in advance.
Maps of France/Italy/Alps/Germany.
Breakdown cover. I think I may have this, but needs checking on.
Luggage options for the bike. High level soft panniers?
Small can of lube.
New gas canisters for puncture repair kit.
Could do with some better waterproofs, esp trousers.
Spare bulbs for everywhere. Better safe than sorry.
Warning triangle for use in France.

Things that I have in my possession that need packing:
Puncture repair kit.
Spare gloves (already have a winter pair & summer pair).
Multiple thin layers including thermals.

Things to do before setting off:
Ensure tyres have a good few thousand miles left.
Service the bike (oil/filter change, air filter change, chain tension, brake pads?). The bike will need its first MOT just before then anyhow.
Pack bank card/credit card somewhere easily accessible.
Pack V5/insurance documents somewhere accessible.
Tape headlights for Euro conversion.
Draw up tank maps before heading out, and test them using GPS. Take these anyway, even if using GPS!
Ensure phone has credit, and pack charger.
If taking the tent, put the tent up & check it out properly. Ensure all pegs/poles still present & accounted for.
Get some currency changed into Euros.

Last edited by Baph; 14-02-09 at 05:14 PM.
Old 17-01-09, 10:37 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Baph's Euro-Tripe

Looks a bit rushed to me but that's just me. I'm thinking of heading down to the south of France too, but for 2 or 3 weeks, depending on money at the time. Hope you have a great time
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-09, 10:40 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Looks a bit rushed to me but that's just me.
The point of it to me is the roads/scenery. I'm not that interested in sight seeing etc. Although I have a plan in the back of my mind for if I'm aching too much, or if I fancy stopping somewhere pretty for photo's. Or just a random day in a city (it's been a while since I've been to Cannes for example).

So I don't really have a problem with riding for 8 hours, sleeping, riding for 8 hours, etc etc.
Old 17-01-09, 11:00 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

LAst year I caught the Ferry from Portsmouth to StMalo and spent a week along the brittany coast.

The N12 is the most boring camera infested road you can ride, I can firmly recommend the coast road from StMalo to StBrieuc, then the highlight of my trip and if you miss it out and go the N12 it would be sacrilidge.

Follow the coast road from Pordic to Perros Guirec then take in the beaches from Perros-Guirec to Tregastel to Trebeurden.

Below are some of the photos of that little areas, its really not to be missed, silky smooth twisty roads and perfect beaches.

I cant remember which beach is which but this is what you are missing.

The Roads on that you will miss.

I would love to go again, alas this year I doubt I could afford it with other plans.
Old 17-01-09, 11:13 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
most boring camera infested road you can ride
Day 2 ammended to suit. Muchos-grassios.
Old 17-01-09, 01:39 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Personally I'd spend more time in the Alps and do more passes. And for Day 6 after Basel I'd try a route through the Vosges mountains.
Old 17-01-09, 01:44 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

Also the run across Northern Italy may be a little dull until you get to the lakes.
Old 17-01-09, 02:04 PM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Personally I'd spend more time in the Alps and do more passes. And for Day 6 after Basel I'd try a route through the Vosges mountains.
Day 6 suitably modified, and shortened to account for fatigue.

I'd love to spend more time in the Alps, but I'm limited for time as it is, which is why I may end up doing two days in France then home, instead of the whole 7 day trip. Time will tell I suppose.

EDIT: As for Northern Italy, it'll give me some time to chill after hairpins & before the Apls. It'll also serve as a mile muncher should I be behind schedule.

Cheers Tim.
Old 17-01-09, 02:39 PM   #9
John 675

is this one open to anyone baph? or is this just you?
Old 17-01-09, 02:58 PM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylej View Post
is this one open to anyone baph? or is this just you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Any comments welcome, as is anyone that wants to join me on the trip.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote