SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-05-21, 09:14 AM   #9641
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I got soaked a couple of times getting caught out in downpours recently and have come to the conclusion none of the 'waterproof and breathable' motorcycle gear is fully waterproof. I think it would have to be waxed cotton or plastic/pvc to be fully waterproof.
ps but riding in really heavy rain with poor visibility /visor steaming up just isn't safe. Pulling over and waiting for it to pass is the only safe option sometimes.
I find jackets are fine , but trousers inevitably always give way (as mentioned, aside from Rukka and really expensive brands) dependent on duration and ferocity of downpour.

To be honest I dislike textiles because they are never as well fitting as leathers, can ride up in a crash exposing skin and primarily; the armour moves - so you might find your knee armour is wrapped around your calf or on top of your knee cap at the point a car bumper slams into your unprotected, lower knee. Paired with the fact you never really want to be wearing them when it's sunny and you don't intentionally ride in driving rain my best combo is good leathers and a cheap non breathable boil in the bag suit under the seat I can chuck on when it rains.

Leathers are not good for a commute though so I mainly use textiles for that. When I commuted daily and I knew it was definitely going to rain/heavily I'd shelve the textiles and put on good quality plasticy over trousers that walkers/snowboarders use.

If your helmet doesn't have a 'pinlock' add it to your helmet shopping list. Transformed my riding world (you can see when it rains).

Last edited by Dave20046; 25-05-21 at 09:15 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 11:02 AM   #9642
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well, I don't know what that particular lurgy was, but it was really unpleasant.

Started last wednesday with a feeling of slight feverishness, headache. and aching joints It just built until this morning at around 5am, when the fever broke. Couldn't sleep properly, slightly delirious. Got up and 4am, went down stairs, and drank a pint of orange juice and water, and swallowed two paracetamol. Got back into bed, and within 20 minutes the sweat was just pouring out of me.

Finally got up at around 8.15 and my joints had pretty much stopped aching. Head still ached a bit, but that could be dehydration.

Feeling fragile but on the road to recovery.

I lay in bed last night wondering if I was going to have to talk to Steph, and see if she had a plan B regarding my tour this weekend, but it looks like all I need is two or three days of recovery time.

I really hope nobody else gets that bug. Adam, you have my sympathy!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 11:06 AM   #9643
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Glad you're feeling better Gary

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 25-05-21, 12:09 PM   #9644
svenrico

But you shouldn't have to pay £2,000 for good gear ! Anyway, some good comments on clothing. I have a pinlock visor fitted by the way, but I also wear spectacles which don't help !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 12:21 PM   #9645
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
But you shouldn't have to pay £2,000 for good gear ! Anyway, some good comments on clothing. I have a pinlock visor fitted by the way, but I also wear spectacles which don't help !
My Lindstand/Halvarsson trousers gave up the ghost last week. They have been good for 10 years with just needing a Nikwax wash in waterproof if they do let water in.

Backing has gone as have the seams on the waterproof liner. I'm now in Screwfix hi-wiz over-trouser on top if it looks like rain as a new bike and cellar conversion have supped up the funds.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 12:28 PM   #9646
admin
John T
Mega Poster

When I lived and worked in London during the 80's, I studied what despatch riders wore. It boiled down to two extremes, yellow plastic jacket and trousers that firemen used to wear or the plastic Rukka gear. So in short, buy cheap and replace often, or buy expensive and replace rarely.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 25-05-21, 12:52 PM   #9647
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Well, I don't know what that particular lurgy was, but it was really unpleasant.

Started last wednesday with a feeling of slight feverishness, headache. and aching joints It just built until this morning at around 5am, when the fever broke. Couldn't sleep properly, slightly delirious. Got up and 4am, went down stairs, and drank a pint of orange juice and water, and swallowed two paracetamol. Got back into bed, and within 20 minutes the sweat was just pouring out of me.

Finally got up at around 8.15 and my joints had pretty much stopped aching. Head still ached a bit, but that could be dehydration.

Feeling fragile but on the road to recovery.

I lay in bed last night wondering if I was going to have to talk to Steph, and see if she had a plan B regarding my tour this weekend, but it looks like all I need is two or three days of recovery time.

I really hope nobody else gets that bug. Adam, you have my sympathy!
a coronavirus commonly called the flu. a coronavirus does not have to be covid19 there are hundreds of them. you cant immunise against them all. even if you get jabs be it for covid19 or the common flu you can still get infected.

glad to hear your ok now Gary xx
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 01:42 PM   #9648
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
people not being able to grasp the concept that there is no ''Ground'' in a DC circuit. its either Positive or Negative... this includes vehicle wiring.
Because a lot of the circuits use the metal frame / bodywork as a return path it is convenient to refer to it as common or ground, and everyone knows what it means.... Nobody making you use the term it it offends you that much. I have been involved in industrial electronic all my working life and loads of people refer to ground. Americans use the term very freely https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...egative-ground

Some DC systems have both say a +24v rail and -24v rail, with a common or 0 volt rail, referred to as ground ( often grounded to a metal chassis in the system ). Grounding one leg of the DC also means the circuit is more resistant to interference.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-05-21 at 01:53 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 02:15 PM   #9649
redtrummy

My Cub is +ve earth, Suzy -ve earth, never heard either way described as ground or common! (But I do understand were Bilbo is coming from)
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-21, 02:35 PM   #9650
Seeker
Mega Poster

I used to work on, amongst other things, a platesetter. A laser device used for writing direct to an aluminium printing plate (which would then go on the press). I was in the US and all reference points were to "ground" (which we call "earth" in the UK) so we would measure from the device chassis to the building's ground to ensure we were "grounded" and then check the +5V, +/- 12V etc. to chassis (which was ground). The drum drive motor was 80V dc floating, so you measured between the + and - terminals of its driver, not between + and ground (or else you'd get a spark and a dead drive unit).
I also got into the habit of measuring between ground and neutral because, in the US, it would frequently not be 0V and any time it went over 0.6Vac weird faults would develop.

If we wanted 220Vac, we would take 2 phases but I had one customer with an imagesetter (writes to film) that kept blowing boards and I found that one phase was 180Vac and the other phase was 60Vac so we got 220Vac but with horrendous distortion and noise.

Didn't older Brit bikes used to have separate wires going to each device - ie a positive and a negative wire instead of one wire and a chassis reference?