SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-21, 03:35 PM   #9781
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

UK sales go via Luxembourg to avoid paying tax in UK
Every multinational in Europe does this. I've worked in finance departments for my whole career and the "owners" of the UK, French, German, etc local trading company are usually the Luxembourg entity, or Irish, and its usually way more complex than that. The local trading companies get commission for selling on behalf of the owning entity, usually less than their costs, and hence pay little or no local corporation tax. Its perfectly legal, but not especially ethical. Amazon are just doing it on a bigger scale than everyone else.

At the recent G7 meeting there was a thing about minimum corporation tax levels, but of course Luxembourg are not in the G7 and would never agree to this loss of status if they were! Our government would in all honesty struggle to do much about it, no matter which party was in power.
Old 25-06-21, 05:26 PM   #9782
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
This.

My next door neighbour is a secondary teacher and the amount of extra work she had to do to prepare video lessons, marking electronically, chasing up pupils who are not working etc etc is massive. Add to that load that teachers have to assess and recommend each pupil's GCSE grade, following some exacting rules and making sure they keep evidence for the inevitable appeals..

On top of that dealing with kids in school who think its funny to go against covid rules, cough on other people deliberately and also dealing with outbreaks in school.

They need a break.
I think the teachers judging the grades is the most ridiculous thing. No offense to them (I'm sure many don't want to do it at all) but I would not have passed a single GCSE if that was the case - all of my predictions were F's except Geography (Which weirdly, was my weakest subject but most experienced teacher on reflection). I got 10x A* to B (and a C in Geography however I didn't hand in some coursework which counted for 30%).
Old 25-06-21, 07:03 PM   #9783
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Every multinational in Europe does this. At the recent G7 meeting there was a thing about minimum corporation tax levels, but of course Luxembourg are not in the G7 and would never agree to this loss of status if they were!
Remember Jean-Claude Juncker? He was finance minister for Luxembourg and helped set up Luxembourg's position as a tax avoidance haven. When he became president of the European Commission he campaigned to block EU curbs on tax avoidance.
Old 25-06-21, 09:41 PM   #9784
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
correct and they are usually jealous people who cant get a break in life or are bitter twisted people.

not necessarily - it is the vast amount of money involved and the controversy over tax that many people are concerned about.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 04:43 PM   #9785
Seeker
Mega Poster

I spoke to my friend in Arkansas yesterday - he was complaining that it was over 90°F with humidity to match. Today, I heard a click in the kitchen - it was the central heating thermostat demanding heat. It comes on at 67°F.

It reached 121°F in Lytton Canada this week which is situated at 50.233°N, St Ives Cornwall is situated at 50.208°N.

I just want a bit of warmth, it's July!
I think it's time we drained the North Sea, I'm tired of the drizzle, clouds, cold winds.
Old 01-07-21, 05:35 PM   #9786
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

It reached 121°F in Lytton Canada this week which is situated at 50.233°N, St Ives Cornwall is situated at 50.208°N.
My parents are on the south BC coast. My mom said by 4am it had only dropped to just shy of 30c. I think Lytton (hit 49.6c I think) is now being evacuated for forest fires (BC interior is pretty dry anyhow in summer) - there will likely be plenty more to come (there always is), especially if lighting storms follow. No doubt a lot of people will lose homes this summer. Over 200 people have died from heat in BC.

I wouldn't mind warmer weather, but I wouldn't trade places.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 06:43 PM   #9787
CheGuevara

Also, Happy Canada Day.

My wife has been hearing from an old friend who grew up in the aboriginal community in Lytton - sounds like it's pretty much gone.

Apparently people had 15 mins notice to leave.

Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57678054

Cool weather doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited by CheGuevara; 01-07-21 at 09:07 PM.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 09:24 AM   #9788
Bibio
Mega Poster

why are all work jeans knee pad pockets more like shin guard pockets?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 09:47 AM   #9789
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
why are all work jeans knee pad pockets more like shin guard pockets?
Your legs are a non standard size?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-21, 09:53 AM   #9790
Bibio
Mega Poster

no they are not but its not just me. a few of the mates have the exact same problem.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote