SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-07-21, 12:56 PM   #9891
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Very dodgy Hermes delivery driver. Eventually turned up with a parcel that they "tried to deliver yesterday", but "no one was home" (we were home, all day in the garden at the front of the house, where they would have delivered to) and then supposedly delivered successfully today, again when were were home but "left it in a safe place", even though we were home? No sign of it and the proof photo (blurry non descript pic of a bit of a plastic bag with no identifying surroundings or text on it) from yesterdays failed attempt was sent through again today as proof of delivery. Again, with no clue as to location, where the safe place is or identifying marks on the packet or in photo. No sign of it anywhere in the garden, in the bushes, in the bin (yes they've left things in there before now!)

A long winded waste of time trying to contact Hermes and something must have got through and they must have contacted her to ask about it as she just turned up very sheepish and apologetic saying it must have got lost in the van. Why was it marked as delivered then? Why had we not seen her on each of the delivery visits? Because she'd never been here I'm guessing. I imagine it's a quite common practice... put a few things aside and if they slip through the net then keep them? I've had a few other Hermes deliveries I've never seen too in the past.
I've had this. I think the drivers are under pressure to deliver to a Hermes timescale which is a bit unrealistic. So if they haven't finished by the end of the day they mark the item as delivered with the intention of doing it the next day. Of course this is where it all goes to pieces and items get mislaid or forgotten about.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 22-07-21, 02:08 PM   #9892
shiftin_gear98

Or they are just dodgy robbing barstewards who randomly nick parcels on the chance of getting something good.
Old 22-07-21, 02:39 PM   #9893
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I'd go with Martin's theory as it wasn't the end of the day each time, it was mid morning.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 09:32 PM   #9894
daktulos

While we're griping about Hermes, our driver leaves packages on the doorstep, rings the doorbell and just walks away. Our front door opens right onto the pavement, it's amazing more don't go "missing".
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 10:54 PM   #9895
Bibio
Mega Poster

i have the opposate. pretty much all of the delivery drivers are great so must be a down south or big city thing. my postie even braught me a package that i failed to put the house number an. street on.

btw i dont have the spell chacker on this comp so have a good laugh
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-21, 09:27 AM   #9896
Dave20046
Mega Poster

The sun's gone
Old 24-07-21, 01:27 PM   #9897
DJ123
Mega Poster

insurance companies writing off vehicles for little! It looks to be 'crash' damage, as opposed to a stolen/recovered bike.

Look at this bike, up for sale that would be circa 15K. Only damage in the picture is r/h side ending head cover (head looks fine), r/h side engine protector missing & l/h side engine protector has grazing.
The rest of it looks immaculate still. How is there 8k worth of damage there, even at BMW labour you'd struggle to be at 4K getting them to repair/replace those parts.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 02:06 PM   #9898
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Engine bars would be about £180 and cam covers would be aprox £300 each. Odd that it only has engine bars on one side? Makes me thingk that on the side that it's missing the engine bar, the mount point on the frame might have been damaged. They mount on engine bolts so could be adding to the cost to repair the engine bolt mounts?

Insurance costs are usually more in recovery, storage and admin / assessment than they are on actual repairs.
Say it's been stored for a week at £150 a day after a £200 recovery cost, that's £1200 before anyone has even looked at it. It will probably sit in storage for alot longer than that too. Assessment at £500, insurance admin at £500 and it all adds up pretty quick. They'll only price it using genuine parts and main dealer labour too.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 02:16 PM   #9899
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
insurance companies writing off vehicles for little! It looks to be 'crash' damage, as opposed to a stolen/recovered bike.

Look at this bike, up for sale that would be circa 15K. Only damage in the picture is r/h side ending head cover (head looks fine), r/h side engine protector missing & l/h side engine protector has grazing.
The rest of it looks immaculate still. How is there 8k worth of damage there, even at BMW labour you'd struggle to be at 4K getting them to repair/replace those parts.
Crazy isn't it. During the 70's when I started riding I had a couple of claims on insurance. What I found then was that the dealer assessing the damage would list every part that had a slight mark or scratch. So of course the bill was huge and more profit for the dealer.

There's a famous Ogri cartoon of this. Malcolm is watching a dealer doing this assessment who gets out a hammer to put a few dents in the tank of a customers bike. Malcolm being a new employee does the next assessment and goes to town on a customers machine and nearly destroys it. Of course being Malcolm he's got the wrong bike.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 24-07-21 at 02:17 PM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-21, 02:51 PM   #9900
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Insurance people are hard headed business people, they know that modern cars and bikes are complicated ( and sometimes delicate ) bits of kit, so may be a lot more damage than shows. My Bro dropped his VFR750 at about 30mph, lots of damaged fairing, generator cover, headlight brackets. Due to fact he had had the bike a while and was attached to it he refused write off payment from insurance and set about restoring it.... bought a lot of the fairing parts and bodywork, found the frame was cracked OMG... also found cost of new headlight brackets £500+, spent a load of money on it but kept finding other things wrong... has given up now. Insurance people may be cleverer than we think.... don't know yet if he will be able to get insurance, even if he does fix it up.. after all insurance wrote it off.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 28-07-21 at 01:37 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote