SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 25-06-08, 09:43 PM   #41
rob13

Default Re: Videos, photos and ramblings on my Trackday at Croft

No mate, I was on crutches just hobbling about. Did you crash alongside that guy?
Old 25-06-08, 09:49 PM   #42
ThEGr33k

Crash pics have scared me a little How'd they manage that then?
Old 25-06-08, 09:57 PM   #43
rob13

overcooked it in the corner/got the braking technique wrong.

Its just like riding on the road in that you still have the potential for accidents, you just dont have any cars wanting to pull out on you
Old 26-06-08, 07:04 AM   #44
SP33DY

Just I saw a guy being wheeled about in a chair looking longfully at the bikes out on track.

Did see a young lad on crutches hobbling around the pits as well.

As for crashes they normally go like this

"check me out Im a riding god"

"Im gonna take this next corner flat out in third with my knee down Rossi style"

Actually getting to the corner and leaning over ever so slightly

"AAAARRRRGH Can't lean over any further BRAKE"

The result is a trip up the road then months of feeling sorry for yourself because deep down inside you know it was avoidable.

It boils down to no confidence in their tyres. on both trackdays I've been to there were numerous people who were just too scared to pull their front brake or lean the bike over (they were sticking their knees out far enough so think they were trying to get the kneedown).

On the plus side though it gives guys like me and Tim on our underpowered toys a chance to sneak up on them.

And before I start getting a slating off the lads who were there about my braking abilities, i could pull m lever back to the bar so was having to give it two pumps to get them to work!
Old 26-06-08, 07:26 AM   #45
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
Sounds like Rob, especially if he had very short hair
Old 26-06-08, 07:34 AM   #46
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Just I saw a guy being wheeled about in a chair looking longfully at the bikes out on track.

As for crashes they normally go like this

"check me out Im a riding god"

"Im gonna take this next corner flat out in third with my knee down Rossi style"

Actually getting to the corner and leaning over ever so slightly

"AAAARRRRGH Can't lean over any further BRAKE"

The result is a trip up the road then months of feeling sorry for yourself because deep down inside you know it was avoidable.

It boils down to no confidence in their tyres. on both trackdays I've been to there were numerous people who were just too scared to pull their front brake or lean the bike over (they were sticking their knees out far enough so think they were trying to get the kneedown).

On the plus side though it gives guys like me and Tim on our underpowered toys a chance to sneak up on them.
I see. So over confident then. I guess the second guy followed the first and followed him to do the same mistake.

Quote:
And before I start getting a slating off the lads who were there about my braking abilities, i could pull m lever back to the bar so was having to give it two pumps to get them to work!
Hmmm sounds like better brake lines or a good bleed out... Should sort it im guessing.

Ive been thinking about going and doing a track day. Not so sure I have the money if the worst should happen as my bike is my only transport. Next year should be better! Sorry Tim, I would LOVE TO! Might even get a ss600 for the track.
Old 26-06-08, 09:32 AM   #47
rob13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Sounds like Rob, especially if he had very short hair
I think you'll find thats NO hair
Old 26-06-08, 01:16 PM   #48
SP33DY

Don't think it was you then mate this lad had hair and was about 20.

Don't think it's being over confident Greek just a case of people going out of there comfort zone.

Look at Tim proving on corner after corner that you can scrape away the pegs on an SV, yet realistically how many people on the forum would dream of leaning over that far?
It's not that the bike can't do it, it's just people aren't comfortable (stupid,brave etc...) enough with it.

As for my brakes there sorted now actually stola a new master cylinder of an SV as the 14mm just wasn't getting enough juice down the lines the 5/8" MC of the SV has made things rock solid now.