SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-05-06, 12:48 PM   #1
kashby

Default Insurance Question

My bikes got to go in for repair ( Parcelforce van stopped on the road in front of me and then reversed back wrecking the front end ) anyway back to the question -can I pick my own garage for the repairs or do I have to go to the garage specified by the insurance company?
Old 14-05-06, 12:59 PM   #2
Shivy

When my partner had an accident on his old SV (now mine) the insurance company told him to get an estimate done by a garage of his choice and then once you have that estimate you have to have the work done at that garage. Not sure if its the same for other insurance companies but I don't think they can do anything until they have an estimate on how much it's going to cost. Although its possible the 3rd party's insurers send someone out to assess the damage and then tell you to take it to a certain garage. Not sure.

Shiv xXXx
Old 14-05-06, 01:16 PM   #3
nickj

Some insurance companies will tell you where to take it but you can insist it is done by a garage of your choice as long as the price is the same and they are insurance approved.
Old 14-05-06, 01:53 PM   #4
pingu

No insurance company can TELL you where to take your bike for repair but most have recopmmended repairers and make it a lot easier with less hassle if you go to a recommended repairer eg

If you go where you want to you gotta supply at least two estimates to ensure you have a competitive quote but via them no estimates are needed. Also, they could refuse to give you a bike while yours are in for repair if you go your own way and the whole process may take longer.

But they can not force you to take it to their repairer.

Pingu