SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-06, 08:42 AM   #1
grecian9

Default too heavy for front shocks and brakes?

I'm really disappointed with the front brakes on my 99sx. I got brand new discs for the recent MOT and have done nearly 500 miles so they should be bedded in (shouldn't they?). I was nearly caught out this morning stopping only a couple of inches behind a taxi.

I weigh over 17 stone and I get a lot of fork dive when I brake. The forks are the standard ones and the bike has done 28k miles. Would people recommend stiffening up the forks and getting the brakes bled, new pads etc...? Well of course you would! What I'm driving at is, is it worth doing considering my weight and the age of the bike or would I need to upgrade to higher performance parts to see any worthwhile improvement?

I think I got new pads at the MOT but I don't think the brakes were bled.

Losing weight isn't an option (I could see that one coming )
Old 26-09-06, 08:47 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

I would consider new fork springs, at your weight the standard ones will probably be overly soft for you making hard braking trickier. If you buy from someone like Maxton or Hagon they will recomend an airgap and fork oil weight too. definatly replace the fork oil at the same time.
Also make sure the brakes are clean and working well and that the lever has been cleaned and greased recently.
Old 26-09-06, 08:57 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Im only half a tone lighter, but have been just over the 17 stone mark. Uprate your fork springs, and chuck in some 15wt oil. The front is never going to be that special, but i would also imagine that the fork oil has NEVER been changed, which wont help. As for the brakes. To get the best out of them, make sure they are in in tip top condition. Make sure the calipers are nice and clean, and that all the pistons etc move freely and are not siezed. Then a full bleed, and a new set of pads should see you well. Again the front brakes on the SV are nothing special but they are more than adequate for the SV and your 17 stone, it just they need to be working in the 1st place.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 09:40 AM   #4
PeterM

Suspension is a very important factor in your braking performance. Definately get your forks uprated and serviced. Good practice to bleed your brakes when fitting new pads too so hop to it and let us know how you get on.