SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-07, 01:52 PM   #1
dareme97

Question Help SV just shut off

Hi everyone.
I had a very mysterious thing happen to me while riding home from work yesterday. I was coasting up to a stop sign down shifted into first gear and my 2003 SV650S just shut off.
I have absolutely no power when turning the key on and off or flipping the kill switch.
Absolutely nothing happens when i turn the key on. Not one relay or computer makes any noise like it is activating.

I checked my battery connections and all the fuses that i could find. All seems to be in working condition. Also, i have just replaced my battery a few months ago this summer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated???
Old 27-09-07, 02:03 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Help SV just shut off

sounds like the rectifier is not charging the battery
Old 27-09-07, 02:16 PM   #3
riktherider

what hovis said. take the battery out and test it. it happened to me when i decided to find out how long the battery would last without a reg rec installed. turns out for about 30 minutes ride. you can also get the reg rec tested at a dealer which is a handy thing to do just to double check.
Old 27-09-07, 02:32 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareme97 View Post
I have absolutely no power when turning the key on and off or flipping the kill switch.
If you've got no power at all, then I doubt its your battery, I found even with a toasted battery it would still light the idiot lights on the dash and in my case it had enough juice to light the headlights to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareme97 View Post
Absolutely nothing happens when i turn the key on. Not one relay or computer makes any noise like it is activating.
That sounds like more than a dead battery to me, if the fuel rails not priming then it sounds more serious IMHO.

If it were me and you've checked the fuses, then have you checked the main fuse ? Its not under the riders seat with the other fuses, on the curvey its in a green box by the frame on the RHS of the bike between the riders seat and the fuel tank, not sure where it is on a pointy.

Your symptoms sound exactly like the problem I had when my main fuse blew, thats what I'd be checking.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 05:00 PM   #5
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good evening.
Ditto Fizzwheel.
Have you checked the main fuse? it's in the starter solenoid, a green 30 amp jobbie. Following the positive lead from the battery will take you to the solenoid itself.
Failing that, check the ignition switch connections.

Cheers.
Old 27-09-07, 09:53 PM   #6
dareme97

Thank you for everyones suggestions. I have tested the battery, tested 12.67 so the battery is fine. Once i am able to get it home on saturday i will be able to check the main fuse in the solenoid. And then move on to the ignition switch connections.

I appreciate everyones help. I'll let you know how i make out.
Old 27-09-07, 09:55 PM   #7
hovis

its not the rectifer then