SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-09, 12:30 PM   #1
speedplay

Default SV650 tail tidy (k5).

So its my first post here and I'm asking the same question thats probably been asked about a thousand times already!

I was knocked off my sk1 back in august by a friendly copper who then decided that she wasnt going to stop.....(long story)...

I've waited till now for the insurance to pay up as it seems to get messy with a hit and run thing.

I've just bought an 05 650s in candy grand blue with 1100 genuine miles on the clock, totally standard with not a single blemish on her .

Ive kept the renegade high level can from the old bike (slotted in the standard one before it was collected) which I would like to fit to the new bike and want to tidy up the back end with a tail tidy (thanks for bearing with me were getting there now!).

The main question is :- Do I need to fit an undertray or cut the existing tray on my bike to fit a tail tidy?

I'm thinking of gettting a clear brakelight/indicator unit to fit so the winkers wont be a problem, Just dont want to cut/hack the new bike about.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-09, 12:58 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: sv 650 tail tidy (k5)

No, evotech or hamicad both fit without chopping, they do both leave a very small gap however, pretty unnoticable but there.
Old 04-01-09, 01:26 PM   #3
speedplay

Thanks for that Looks like its time to go shopping then...
Old 04-01-09, 01:28 PM   #4
kwak zzr

http://www.hamicad.co.uk/
Old 04-01-09, 05:09 PM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
No, evotech or hamicad both fit without chopping, they do both leave a very small gap however, pretty unnoticable but there.
Unnoticable until you ride in the wet or on damp tarmac, then water get's thrown up into the gap by the rear wheel, playing havoc with your electrics.

Silicon sealer is your best friend.

Also note that if you change the stock indicators (or it has mini indicators on the rear already), these will also share the water ingress characteristics of a pair of fish-net stockings! Make sure the hole in the indicators (for the wires to pass) is water tight, or you'll randomly blow bulbs/short the circuit.

Talking from experience on both counts.
Old 04-01-09, 05:55 PM   #6
Mgaffz

I fitted an RnG unit to my k3, i dont recall it leaving any holes to worry bout but the fit was'nt great and it was quite expensive iirc it was a total nightmare to fit actuall as the holes did'nt really line up

cheers mick
Old 04-01-09, 06:04 PM   #7
samwilko

I went for the evotech, had it on there for about 14 months, no trouble at all with water getting up there and used no silicone on it. I considered one of those integrated clear lights but felt the direction of indication wasn t clear enough, just something to bear in mind, but it is only my opinion, they may be fine!
Old 04-01-09, 06:07 PM   #8
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwilko View Post
I considered one of those integrated clear lights but felt the direction of indication wasn t clear enough, just something to bear in mind, but it is only my opinion, they may be fine!
I had thought that, how will it look from 20 yards in the dark..
Old 04-01-09, 06:13 PM   #9
samwilko

That was exactly my concern
Old 04-01-09, 06:54 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
I had thought that, how will it look from 20 yards in the dark..
At the risk of repeating not only myself but SoulKiss, the integrated rear sidelight/brake/indicator is illegal (as per C&U regulations) in the UK. The indicators are physically too close together.

If you mean just sidelight/brake light with a clear lens over it, without the indicator function, that's fine AFAIK.