SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-17, 03:00 AM   #1
doser

Default Richa clothing?

I'm starting to kick tires on my 'next' bike, and I also need to replace a bunch of gear: helmet, clothing etc. I prefer to wear 'ordinary' looking pants ( I've been somewhat infamous for riding the past decade in plain leather jeans, but I do have a set of leather 'moto' pants that I wear for track days). Cruising the various websites has brought this pant to my attention: nice features, relatively 'ordinary' looking for walking into small town cafes, decent protection...

http://www.richa.eu/gr-en/tg-1-trousers?cid=7

The waterproof liner is bogus ( wtf? why would you put the waterproof layer INSIDE the pant, so YOU stay dry but EVERYTHING else gets soaked?) , and would hit the trash immediately.

So, does anyone have any experience with Richa clothing? ( Based in Belgium, altho undoubtedly made in Pakistan like virtually all the rest of the m/c clothing world...)

Kinda intrigued by this jacket too...

http://www.richa.eu/gr-en/mugello-jacket?cid=3

I like Dianese to, but I'm finding it hard to find the right fit...

p.s. this is a LEATHER ONLY discussion - I already have a fine textile jacket plus a mesh jobbie for the heat...
Old 08-07-17, 07:39 AM   #2
DomP

Default Re: Richa clothing?

I've got Richa drift boots and some of their gloves, both were fairly priced at around £100 and £35 if I remember correctly. The gloves are great and well made with no stitching issues after about 5-6000 miles. The boots very comfortable but have a ribbed area above the top of the foot where some stitching has failed buy it is in a high bend area.

Not their jeans I know but more of a quality review. I'd buy again

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-17, 10:50 AM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

Waterproof membranes always seem to go on the inside. I've had several textile suits this way - even if it wasn't removable, it was still on the inside. Yup pockets and everything else always get wet and the whole lot takes ages to dry and drips water for days and days. No so useful for commuting every day.
Old 08-07-17, 11:45 AM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Waterproof membranes always seem to go on the inside. I've had several textile suits this way - even if it wasn't removable, it was still on the inside. Yup pockets and everything else always get wet and the whole lot takes ages to dry and drips water for days and days. No so useful for commuting every day.
yeah got a Goretex walking coat, membrane on the inside, also a couple of 'waterproof' fleeces, yes you guessed it, fleece gets soaked and heavy but water doesn't get through to clothes underneath because membrane on inside. Guess makers want to protect the membrane from UV and mechanical damage so only place they can put it is on the inside.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-07-17 at 01:55 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 03:11 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you want goretex then i has to be the pro shell three layer laminate. most people are put off by the price but personally i class bike gear just as important as the bike. its no fun getting wet. the rukka gear i have is completely waterproof including the external pockets. with the pro shell the actual outer is waterproof and does not have a liner. been in some horrendous rain for hours on end. at the end of the destination inside was completely dry. the outer does not need to dry out as the water sheds off it and your good to go again.

as for leathers i can only recommend Scott Leathers, made here in the UK and not some far off sweat shop. 35k and they are still in one piece including the zips. yes they are like cardboard to begin with and take about 10k to fully break in as the leather is thick proper stuff (like leathers of old). decent price for MTM as well but be very very clear what you want them to do regards style and extras like stretch panels. i know for a fact that they dont like doing it and will more than likely say no but try and get them to put the protection in pockets on the outside rather than attached to the liners on the inside.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 03:11 AM   #6
doser

thanks for the hint about Scott leathers. seems like excellent stuff, but their website is pathetic, so it's impossible to get a clear idea of what their styles are like. as well, Scott are in the UK... and I'm in Canada... not feasible!

as to the comments about Gore-Tex pro shell, I agree. one of the greatest frauds perpetrated on the motorcycling public is this idea of putting waterproof LINERS into garments. yes, the liners keep YOU dry; but your garment ( and everything in its pockets) gets soaked, and it takes DAYS to dry! solution #1, the expensive solution, is Pro Shell, which puts the waterproof /breathable material on the outside, where is does its job appropriately. solution #2, the inexpensive solution, is good raingear, to be pulled on OVER your riding gear when necessary. simple. effective. QED...
Old 09-07-17, 07:51 PM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Problem with inexpensive is that inevitable cold wet crot,ch when the seam fails.
Old 12-07-17, 07:17 AM   #8
dyzio
Mega Poster

The trousers are very comfortable, the leather is softer than on my jacket (different brand), they were easy to brake in.

Can't comment on waterproofness as I don't ride as much these days. Only got them this year so can't comment on any issues.

One thing I will say is that the sizing is messed up. My regular clothing is 32 short and I ended up with 38 regular.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 01:43 PM   #9
doser

^^^thanks for the specifics.