SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-17, 03:14 PM   #21
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: (Yet) Another convert to Triumph

Good choice, better than those crappy Suzukis :P

I had some fun on a cafe racer version of that bike last year for 100 or so miles, very enjoyable engine, never get boring Did you try one of those T120's?! I have to say I was very tempted by one of them when I rode one for something to do whilst my Rocket 3 was in for it's service end of last year. The trouble is I just can't say goodbye to either of my other Triumphs (Explorer + Rocket) or take on a third lol

I've not had any issues with my triumphs so far after a combined mileage of around 18K, I have zero complaints, except for maybe the service costs at the dealership....

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 08-07-17 at 03:27 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 09:05 AM   #22
Blapper

Alton don't do a Triumph kit. Anyways, I promised 'er indoors that I would sell it if I got the Suzuki. For me, one bike is enough.

The ali is simple to keep like chrome because it is good English ali not pressure die-cast chewing gum. Autosol and elbow grease!

Cheers for the compliments guys.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 10:37 AM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Pure aluminium is corrosion resistant, but not very strong. It is when it gets alloyed with other stuff to increase strength allowing thinner castings and saving weight that it gets less corrosion resistant, normally gets a clear coating, but once that gets compromised it is a problem.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 11:17 AM   #24
Blapper

Pressure die-casting is done to increase precision and so reduce machining costs over a large production run. Painted/clear-coated ali is sometimes pretty, but not for long and then it is sh*te. Shame they aren't all plastic. TBH there is probably half an ounce difference in weight between the classic and modern Bonnie's cases and the frame on mine is feather light (amazingly). I'll bet it is even lighter than my Suzy's, definitely around half the weight of a modern Bonnie's!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote