SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-17, 12:01 AM   #1
Rogue_Shadow

Question Moving on from the SV650 - Goldylocks Problem

Hello Org,

I've decided it's time to move on from my first "big" bike.
I've had my K4 for 4 years, 2 of which restricted to 33bhp. It's been a great bike & despite counting 37k on the clock & it may never let me down.
It's time to move on.

The problem arises in finding a replacement, ideally I want a bike that improves on the qualities of the SV & its versatility. But it seems the mid weight tourer is dead!

• I'm searching for something light weight (200kg) - due to parking location
• Modern styling
• Has a fairing due to my rural location
• Fair Power - I don't care for 12000bhp, my SV has provided plenty but always happy for a twist more.
•Has the ability to tour - Not globe trotting but a week in Europe once a year
•Is fun to ride - I don't commute, my SV is my secondary transport, fun & touring

The best matches have been dedicated touring bikes but I'm worried that these are going to feel dull compared to the pepping SV.
Whilst I'd never suit a SR1000rr, I'm not ready for the pipe & slippers yet

Best contenders

•BMW F800GT
Incredible light & manuvourable, only had a 10 minute demo so will need another play

• Tracer 700
I deemed to be the ultimate SV replacement, but was completely disappointed on my first test ride. Will try one more test ride.

• Versys 650
Lovely engine with plenty of torque, however very heavy combined with being unable to flat foot didn't inspire confidence when stopping.

Has anyone else had similar trouble moving on from your SV?
Any help or feedback on these bikes or others I missed would be great.
I'm heavily leaning towards the F800GT currently, just hoping it's not too "mature".

Last edited by Rogue_Shadow; 22-09-17 at 06:45 PM.
Old 20-08-17, 12:27 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Moving on from the SV650 - Goldylocks Problem

how about the mighty VFR800 or Aprilia Futura which is supposed to be one of the comfiest bikes.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 07:07 AM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Triumph Tiger? You'll love the tripple engine.
Old 20-08-17, 09:40 AM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

I had an F800ST, the predecessor to the GT. It was a great bike and handled everything i threw at it. I'd have another one again in a heart beat.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 11:28 AM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I'd give another vote for the VFR if for no other reason that you can get a hell of a lot of bike for your money and it is a genuine all rounder. If you can find a relatively low mileage (actually not that easy as they're so popular for touring) example that's been looked after and has all the luggage etc then you're almost better off buying older than newer, especially if you can find an F1 (the last before the VTEC). The only problem is it's not going to fit into your weight bracket.

I'd be interested to hear what it was you didn't like about the Tracer 700. I've several mates who have them now and they seem a superb all rounder, you just have to appreciate they are built to a budget and if you are going to spend any money on it make it the suspension first.....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 01:52 PM   #6
andy650

Consider an Aprilia Shiver (GT if you want a fairing).

I have a Dorsoduro, the supermoto brother of the Shiver, and love it. The guys on the forum really rate the Shiver as a great fun all rounder.

Nice V twin engine, practical, fun, reliable and relatively cheap.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...-Dorsoduro-750

andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 02:02 PM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

BMW 800 a great sensible choice.
For touring it's got a brilliant spec and extras catalogue.
Tiger 800(had an xrx myself) and it's derivatives are also good sensible choices too.
Old 20-08-17, 05:21 PM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yeah as others have said you must try a Honda VFR800. Great bike, sporty when you want it to be but comfortable and a great tourer.
Had mine just under a year now and hands down the best all round bike I've had.
I tried the Tracer 900 and was ready to buy one but rode one and didn't like it at all. Front end felt vague and juddery and gave no confidence in high speed corners. Felt like it was going to skip across and out of the corner. Weird sensation. Tracer 700 may be different by the sounds of it you didn't get on with it either.
Test ride a VFR800 I'm sure you'll find it to be the replacement you are looking for.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 06:38 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

If I ever replace my Sv (unlikely as I never ride it ) but I'd like a VFR, pre VTEC
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 11:30 PM   #10
Rogue_Shadow

Really appreciate everyone's input

Cannot believe I overlooked the Triumph Tiger!
My only concern being it's more adventure/off road ordinated than touring, even the XR variation. The other being weight or the feel of the weight.
I appreciate that once your moving it's irreverent, the Versys taught me that. However I have to manual manoeuvre the bike into a shed, by riding up a pavement & through a 88cm wide gate, up a paved pathway which is on an incline, then roll the bike back before pushing/ riding it forward through a 90cm shed door
Hoping the Tiger doesn't feel all 210kg in weight & being able to get both feet down would help. It makes the shortlist

The VFR is out purely on its weight, I sat on one over the weekend & it makes no attempt to hide the 240kg+ wet weight.

The 800GT still appeals after my very short test ride. Not too sure how I feel about a belt drive & also fear it maybe too "sensible".
A lot of review state it's under powered ... but compared to an SV?

I'll definitely look to ride the Tiger & BMW soon.

As for the Tracer 700, here's why my first impressions were bad.
( It's all Tracer 700 from here on - turn back now )
I really looked forward to the release of the Tracer 700, I deemed it the perfect SV replacement & maybe this hype helped kill it for me.
Every review states it's "good value" or "amazing for the price".
Yet if you took out the price tag & look at what your actually receiving, it's VERY basic.
The overal finish seems good, yet I'd be extremely interested to see a long term review. The engine is a torque monster & the styling is great ... but.
The switchgear feels like it was taken off a kids toy, so very unnecessarily small & cheap feeling. It's something I never even considered till riding the Tracer.
The all in one hand guards do nothing to prevent wind blast, some amazing styling but they prevent the option to even add your own. The dash is rammed with information, squeezed into a space smaller in size than a helmet visor.
Speed,Revs,Fuel, gear position, odometer & a clock.
The brakes lack any initial bite or feedback until really pressed & you might as well jump off the bike than rely on the rear brake.

The styling is personal, the brakes are fixable, but the suspension.
Cornish roads are not renown for being silky smooth, but the SV handles them no trouble. I did not expect a 2004 bike to have a better suspension that a 2016 bike. Every minor roll in the tarmac has your head bobbing like a Churchill Dog.
So yea, upgrade the suspension, but why isn't this done already?
The competition, which unsurprisingly every review brings up, " cost significantly more".
True but they didn't cull an essential item of a SPORTS TOURING motorbike!
So that's my first ride review of the 700 Tracer ... starting to think I'd be better off backing away from it slowly rather than risk another ride
Rant over