SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-17, 11:54 AM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Noob from Essex

Might be too far for you to come and I'm usually wary of ultra low mileage motorcycles but just as an FYI there's one just come up in Hull where I live,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-sv6...YAAOSwAGlZwUHf

£1,900.00

1,377 miles according to post.

Old 11-10-17, 12:17 PM   #12
maviczap
Mega Poster

Never seen a silver naked before!

Price is a bit steep for a curvy of that age, still looks like it's been looked after
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 01:28 PM   #13
Ericck

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Might be too far for you to come and I'm usually wary of ultra low mileage motorcycles but just as an FYI there's one just come up in Hull where I live,
Yeah Hull is a bit far. Got 3 or 4 on my radar a bit closer to home.

I am wary too of mileage that low. Rather a bike with a few more miles that has been ridden regularly than one that has been sitting for ages.
Thanks for the link though.
Ericck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 01:39 PM   #14
Ericck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If you find one that hasn't got issues then it is likely to belong to someone who knows their bikes and will also know exactly what it's worth.

The problem I find is the morons with the lemons don't know what their bike is worth and want as much as those who do know their bikes.
I started vaguely looking at SV's again about 6 weeks ago, funny that most the ones I have discounted so far are still up for sale.

How much is a used SV650N worth anyway.
I would be interested on any owners opinions based on their own bikes and where they get their figure from.
I tend to go buy http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motorcycles/bike-prices/ and adjust a bit for mileage and condition. Or I check the sold listings on ebay as this gives a better idea than advertised prices
and bears out the old adage, that a bike is worth only what someone will pay.
Old 11-10-17, 02:20 PM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericck View Post

I am wary too of mileage that low. Rather a bike with a few more miles that has been ridden regularly than one that has been sitting for ages.
Me too.That's why I waited and watched until I found a machine that met my criteria.My 1999 Curvy had 16k on it so had had some decent use but had been well cared for and although it was a dealer P/X so I paid a little more I got a decent deal
Old 11-10-17, 07:16 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericck View Post
Y

I'd be wary if it was a later sports bike that might have just come off the track......but there is nothing about that SV that should be sounding alarm bells. One look at it tells you the seller is very unlikely to be telling porkies and the history is right there for you to check, what's not to like about it? The price? You've got to be kidding, you try and buy what is in effect a brand new bike for £2k. Worth every penny, especially as it hasn't got any of those pesky electronics you get on new bikes..... The only thing he didn't mention was brake fluids and fuel hoses, I'd probably be tempted to change those but even then it's still a bargain if you want a curvy.

ps: and I'd probably chuck a pair of tyres at it as well.

Last edited by Red Herring; 11-10-17 at 07:18 PM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 08:50 PM   #17
Ericck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'd be wary if it was a later sports bike that might have just come off the track......but there is nothing about that SV that should be sounding alarm bells. One look at it tells you the seller is very unlikely to be telling porkies and the history is right there for you to check, what's not to like about it? The price? You've got to be kidding, you try and buy what is in effect a brand new bike for £2k. Worth every penny, especially as it hasn't got any of those pesky electronics you get on new bikes..... The only thing he didn't mention was brake fluids and fuel hoses, I'd probably be tempted to change those but even then it's still a bargain if you want a curvy.

ps: and I'd probably chuck a pair of tyres at it as well.

You might be right, still its a 400 mile round trip so not really a goer, although might be worth an email. I would like to know what was done to recommission it. Anything rubber may need replacing, were carbs cleaned etc.

I am looking for something I can jump on ride so I can work on my Bandit. Not enough time to work on two bikes.
Old 12-10-17, 08:08 AM   #18
Mega Poster

Do you want a pristine example or are you OK with a bit of dirt here and there? I'm contemplating getting rid of my curvy. It's an S model but they're very easily converted to a naked iteration. I believe the offsets on the naked and S model top clamps are the same (I stand to be corrected, though!).

It's got less than 8000 miles on the clock, 2000 W plate, I've recently serviced it (new air/oil filter, plugs). MOT till September '18. I've changed all the fluids as well so the brake reservoirs are nice and fresh, I stripped the calipers and everything's sliding as it should...it brakes really, really hard actually - far better than the pointy SV650S I had a few years back.

Could do with new tyres and the front forks need the oil changed (I'd recommend better springs anyway, tbh) but I don't want a great amount of money for it. There's rust on nuts and bolts that could easily be sanded and buffed up. Rear brake arm needs a washer as it's got a tiny bit of play (but wasn't anywhere near enough to be an MOT issue).

I'll PM you with a link to a photo album.
Old 12-10-17, 05:25 PM   #19
garynortheast
Mega Poster

650, depending on price I know someone who may well be interested in your Curvy S as it is. She's after getting back on a bike and it sounds ideal for her.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 10:37 PM   #20
Ericck

Now sorted.

Bought the K8 advertised by Veenee.

Rode it 60 miles home and it seems ok