SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-09-12, 11:06 AM   #11
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: ADT alarms

How could I miss Dans post?
Old 04-09-12, 11:22 AM   #12
Davadvice

i had the same issue when i moved in my house.

I Googled the make and model of the alarm box and got a PDF showing how to reset the password and all the other maintanence stuff requried.
Old 04-09-12, 03:38 PM   #13
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I invited ADT round to give me a quote for a new system when we had our extension put on five years ago. Price for a non-monitored system seemed quite reasonable until they said PER MONTH. I'm sure they can be very good systems but sheesh!

Stretchie - are you sure the alarm will trip if the power is cut? My neighbours cheapo man-with-a-van system does that if we have a power cut but mine doesn't unless it is triggered by a sensor. The backup battery takes over until it's exhausted and even then only shows an error code once the power is restored.
Old 04-09-12, 03:53 PM   #14
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

As Stretch and GG.

TBH I'd take it out and get someone to fit a boggo one or a Galaxy Rio (if you want something a lot better that can be hidden), and don't want to pay ADT for the pleasure of constant monitoring.
You should be able to reuse most the cabling depending where the panel currently plonked

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 09:31 AM   #15
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Ahh, good point Trev, lets see if I can remember this.

If the power gets cut to the alarm box outside it will sound but stop after 20 mins, but if the alarm is not set, i.e. you are in the house, and the power gets cut then it will beep to alert you to it and you put your code in to stops it beeping.

I forgot that all these alarms SHOULD be 'confirmed systems', remembering this was a maintained alarm so it will be up to date. This means that it needs two activations from different inputs to go off, for example the door then the landing sensor, both signals trigger to the monitoring centre but only when the second 'confirmed' signal comes through can the police be called, the first signal only means a keyholder will be called. I'm just trying to remember if power failure would result in full alarm or just beeping, where is Saxo when you need him?

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 09:49 AM   #16
El Saxo

* sticks head above parapet *

Here I am

As Stretchie has said, PM me a pic of the keypad is a good start and I should be able to answer any questions.
N.B. Without knowing the code it is unlikely you will be able to do much - there may be a 'back-door' but this varies from one manufacturer to the next. A full factory reset may be necessary.

Stretchie, you are almost right about the bellbox having the 20 min cut-off (now actually 15 mins under latest regs) but this doesn't apply in the case of a power-down. If the endstation is completely powered down, the bellbox will ring until its own battery dies. This is because the endstation is what controls the cut-off - if it has no power, it cant control anything, simples...

N.B.(2) As Stretchie and GG have mentioned, I'm still an employee of Tyco (ADT's parent company) so I won't give out any info on engineering codes / back doors that might compromise a customer's system. I can, however, tell you what is possible or how easy certain jobs are for a qualified engineer / electrician, much in the same way as anyone here would tell you the right questions to ask when you take you SV to a mechanic so that you don't get ripped off. That said, ask away...

Last edited by El Saxo; 05-09-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 10:07 AM   #17
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Thanks.
Tho that would disable the entire alarm functionality wouldn't it, rather than just having it in bell only mode?

No. the bell box has a battery backup, the alarm system effectively stops the bell sounding. detecting a power loss will cause the alarm to sound until such time as the bell box battery runs down.

Do what we did with my neighbours, open the bell box and disconnect the backup battery.

Edit, damm should have read all thread before opening gob. I now have got yo the point where stretchie and Andy Saxon are giving advise.

Last edited by timwilky; 05-09-12 at 10:12 AM. Reason: jumped in too quick
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 10:19 AM   #18
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I now have got to the point where stretchie and Andy Saxon are giving advise.
We're all DOOMED

Look right-> <-Look Left
Old 05-09-12, 10:24 AM   #19
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I now have got yo the point where stretchie and Andy Saxon are giving advise.
In some cultures this is one of the signs of the apocalypse!
Old 05-09-12, 11:10 AM   #20
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

You're amazing Saxo, I want to have your babies

Look right-> <-Look Left