SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-07-14, 12:19 AM   #41
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Gaza and Israel

It's crap, and I can't see what will change it. It's painfully simplistic to say that they should talk rather than shoot each other, the problem lies in that there are two entirely exclusive viewpoints - they don't merely disagree.
Israel's treatment of the Palestinians would be difficult to defend, but think on this; if Israel had it all their own way, they would undoubtedly colonise even more territory. If the Palestinians got their way there would be no Jewish homeland - no Israel at all, it would become expunged from the map. The Israelis know this well, which I think is a factor in their unwillingness to deal with the Palestinians, and a part of their seeming siege mentality too.
Understanding the above makes it hard for me to find my sympathies fall much to either side.
I must add that it is utterly, utterly pointless even discussing how the circumstance arose, or finding and blaming those in history who had a hand in shaping the situation present now. One must deal with what history has made, not complain that it is made so.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 06:43 AM   #42
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gaza and Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
. . . This is essentially us, ring fencing Wales, blockading the ports and carefully calculating what gets past Offa's dyke. Except for the fact that it's the size of one city, with four times the people.
Your analogy is only relevant if you add that the Welsh started lobbing rockets aimed intentionally at residential areas our way.

How would YOU respond to that?

Last edited by Supervox; 30-07-14 at 09:51 AM.
Supervox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 09:25 AM   #43
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Israel doesn't want the Gaza strip, they just want Hamas to stop attacking them.
Oh yes they do. This war is all about what all wars are about - natural resources, wealth and power. Gaza has significant gas reserves, Israel has an energy crisis. It is that simple this time. Google 'Gaza Gas Reserves' or 'British Gas Gaza', you'll soon find out. This is not widely reported in the Western media because then good ol' 'Murica would be seen to support an aggressive regime rather than one "protecting its people". Here's a starter for 10

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-energy-crisis

The Israeli action is appalling and should be loudly condemned by all.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 09:47 AM   #44
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Your analogy is only relevant if you add that the Welsh started lobbing rockets aimed intentionally at residential areas our way.

How would YOU respond to that?
It's hard to know until you are in that situation, but I'd hope my response wouldn't be to kill thousands of welsh children.

Hopefully I'd realise that far more people die in car crashes, accidents in the home, house fires, criminal murders etc.
Old 30-07-14, 09:50 AM   #45
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Oh yes they do. This war is all about what all wars are about - natural resources, wealth and power. Gaza has significant gas reserves, Israel has an energy crisis. It is that simple this time. Google 'Gaza Gas Reserves' or 'British Gas Gaza', you'll soon find out. This is not widely reported in the Western media because then good ol' 'Murica would be seen to support an aggressive regime rather than one "protecting its people". Here's a starter for 10

I will NEVER condemn (loudly or otherwise) a nation for defending it's people against terrorists & if you do then you should be ashamed of yourself!
Old 30-07-14, 10:31 AM   #46
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:

Like I've said a dozen times over, in the Ukraine thread, this thread etc.....

.....Its all about the gas. Theres a great many things going on in the Mediterranean world at the moment, and it all revolves around the gas. As you well know, I read more news from abroad than I do from here .

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 10:36 AM   #47
Spank86

Quote:
I will NEVER condemn (loudly or otherwise) a nation for defending it's people against terrorists & if you do then you should be ashamed of yourself!
Without "terrorists" we'd all be speaking....

wait for it....

French.
Old 30-07-14, 10:45 AM   #48
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Rather depends on which side of the rocket lobbing you are doesn't it? Those in Gaza have been illegally blockaded by Israel for 7 years, they are starved of raw materials and often of food. The Israelis even limit supplies of nappies FFS! How would you respond to that? So Hamas fire rockets of limited capability at Israel....

The Israeli response has been massively disproportionate. Since the current hostilities started the dead have been overwhelmingly on the Palestinian side.

Quote:
The conflict has killed more than 1,060 people in Gaza, more than 70 percent of them civilians, according to the United Nations. Israel has lost 53 soldiers, the largest toll since its 2006 war with Lebanon. Hamas mortar and rocket attacks from Gaza have killed two Israeli civilians and a Thai worker in Israel.
- The Washington Post, not known for it's Palestinian sympathies.

Now who exactly is terrorising who?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 10:52 AM   #49
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Rather depends on which side of the rocket lobbing you are doesn't it?

Quote:
The conflict has killed more than 1,060 people in Gaza, more than 70 percent of them civilians, according to the United Nations. Israel has lost 53 soldiers, the largest toll since its 2006 war with Lebanon. Hamas mortar and rocket attacks from Gaza have killed two Israeli civilians and a Thai worker in Israel.
It helps when you have this

Quote:
Iron Dome, Israel’s US-funded, billion-dollar missile shield.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-14, 11:42 AM   #50
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
It helps when you have this
Quote:
...Those in Gaza have been illegally blockaded by Israel for 7 years, they are starved of raw materials and often of food. The Israelis even limit supplies of nappies FFS! How would you respond to that? So Hamas fire rockets of limited capability at Israel....
I assume the above was an error on your part and what you actually meant to type was

"...blockaded by Israel and Egypt..."

Curious isn't it that there's no news reports of rockets being fired at the Egyptians whilst approximately 1600 have been fired at Israel?