SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 07-10-15, 06:29 PM   #1
Nomad Z

Default Edinburgh Bus Lanes & Bikes

For those that aren't aware, bikes can now use most bus lanes in Edinburgh at all times...

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/200...s_lane_notices

The trial was originally planned to start in June, but was delayed for some reason. There are a few exceptions, but I believe all peak time lanes are included, and several all-day lanes have been changed to peak time only.

The trial runs for a minimum of 9 months.
Old 08-10-15, 07:39 AM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: Edinburgh Bus Lanes & Bikes

Come on Glasgow, we're letting these salt 'n' sauce bastarts show us the way.
Old 08-10-15, 09:05 AM   #3
Nomad Z

I have to say, it was quite pleasing when I headed home from work yesterday (on 4 wheels), and saw a bus lane sign with the motorbike symbol added. "Ooh, it's true after all..." Got a day off today, but I should be biking in tomorrow - will be interesting to see how the journey goes with 'wide open filtering'.

I'd imagine Glasgow won't do anything until the Edinburgh trial has run the initial 9 months, when there's a review and a possible extension (another 9 months, I think). London has had them open to bikes for quite a while now, and it seems to have been a success - was made permanent there. I think I read somewhere that one of the other big cities in England is considering it as well (Birmingham, maybe). If the numbers stack up in terms of reduced journey times and fewer accidents, then there seems little reason not to do it.

I think the main objection in Edinburgh was from the cycling lobby, but that was more to do with the change of most all-day lanes to peak time only, which means those lanes can have any kind of traffic outside of peak times, making life a bit tougher for those cyclists that use them in those periods. I don't recall seeing much objection to motorcyclists.
Old 09-10-15, 03:50 PM   #4
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Z View Post

I think the main objection in Edinburgh was from the cycling lobby
Yeah they weren't very keen on the motorcycles and said this in their objections....
"The Council also proposes to allow motorcycles in bus lanes (at all times). This is likely to
reduce the attractiveness of bus lanes for cycling, thus cutting use, contrary to the Council's
policies and targets. Reports of a London trial15 show no clear impact on pedestrian or cyclist
casualties, but show a significant rise in motorcyclist injuries, in motorcyclist speeds, and in
motorcycles exceeding the speed limit. After a period of enforcement, a further survey16 showed
some improvements, but 40%-60% still exceeded speed limits. These concerns over speeding are
heightened by the responses to Edinburgh's own 20mph consultation17, in which every identified
grouping, including car users, supported the plan, apart from motorcyclists, who opposed it by
three to one. A further London study showed motorcycle emission reductions 18 when bus lane use
is permitted, but at under 1% for small machines, and no more than 10% for large."

Thankfully..that was ignored

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;

Last edited by Blue Flame; 09-10-15 at 03:53 PM.
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote