SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-14, 08:56 PM   #21
CharleyFarley

Default Operation: Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
My partner just bought a brand new one to learn to ride on. She got me to take it out on a test ride after seeing Dave Preston on it. He looked totally ridiculous at 6ft 7.

"Gas it w###a".........
Old 05-07-14, 10:22 PM   #22
missyburd

Default Re: Operation: Commute

It's a mini GSR! Looks nippy. I can't knock my old YBR125, had it for a year with a 10 mile commute. It managed an easy 200 miles to a tank and we sold it for the same price we bought it despite it having had 3 crashes!
Old 05-07-14, 10:26 PM   #23
missyburd

I passed one of these on the motorway the other day, how will this do you?

Old 06-07-14, 10:18 PM   #24
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyburd View Post
I passed one of these on the motorway the other day, how will this do you?
What on earth is that?

But its reminded me, I cant believe I didn't consider the Piaggio MP3...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-14, 10:58 PM   #25
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Rode the SV today after last being on the MSX. My what a difference. Yes the SV is bigger and is far more powerful, but compared to the MSX its steering is slow and heavy.

And this reminded me I haven't done a ride report yet...

So I picked the bike up from Basingstoke on the evening with a plan to take it straight home up the A339 and then the M4, roughly 45 miles. At Chieveley services I filled up before heading to the motorway, £5.50 brimmed the tank from 2 bars from empty. As I approached the M4 I was careful to make sure I took the exit towards Swindon. So I joined the M4 in the direction of London. 15 miles later I reached an exit and turned round finally heading in the correct direction.

Speedwise it will do about 64mph on the straight and I did see 75mph on the downhill section of the M4 into Swindon. Acceleration from the line is a little disappointing at first but it does pick up enough once rolling and can hold its own on A roads and Motorways but that is a little boring on a bike such as this. Where it really comes alive is in the town, tight turns and roundabouts you can just flick it side to side with ease.

The seat isn't built for long journeys but the mirrors are good, just need to find their correct location as I keep changing my mind on where I should position myself on the seat. Instruments are fine and so are the controls, just need to get used to the indicators and the horn being the other way round.

The gearbox is interesting. There are only 4 gears and if you are in first and tap it down it doesn't have a stop, it just looks for another gear which is odd. Out riding I really need to remember there are only 4 gears or I need to get a slipper clutch. You see I have a slight problem. Listening to the engine revs it feels like I'm in 6th, so as I approach a roundabout I stick it down 2 and power through the turn. Only on the MSX I'm not going from 6th to 4th, but 4th to 2nd. The consequence of such is I keep locking the rear wheel when leant over, this is fine in the dry but I must get out of the habit before the rain comes.

Now my bike has some issues.

The first is someone got a little happy with the stickers. This should be an easy fix. The second is the Tyga Maggot exhaust that is on there. Its a full system that adds a whole 1hp, which if you think about it on a bike that only has a claimed 9.6hp as standard is a fantastic gain. The only problem is its a little loud as there is no baffle in it. So my solution is to order a different exhaust, just waiting for delivery. Besides its style doesn't match my plan.

And the third problem is my bike has dual nationality. Its European at the back and American at the front. To clarify what I mean, the indicators are always on at the front unless flashing and always off at the back unless flashing. I didn't notice this while picking it up or it only started on the way home. I need to investigate, but my first suspicion is the R&G tail tidy that has been fitted, its possible that there is a problem at that end or its at least a good place to start investigations.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 08:35 AM   #26
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Firstly " I stick it down 2 and power through the turn" ha haa haaaaaa, should be in the joke thread

Keep the exhaust on I want to hear it

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 08:45 AM   #27
jambo
Mega Poster

Back in the day I did some miles on a Honda Bros 400. Being a Japanese market item it had the same indicators on at the front unless turning feature. If I'm honest I like that as it helps separate the headlight from cars when you're filtering. The gear selector on that also had no stop on the selector mechanism when you hit 1st. So would push down and return freely without engaging anything. You get used to it and I got in the habit of pressing down a little and seeing if there was any resistance. If not, I was in 1st.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 07-07-14, 03:07 PM   #28
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
What on earth is that?

But its reminded me, I cant believe I didn't consider the Piaggio MP3...
It's a Carver One, I'd never seen one before either then I've seen two more today!Bizarre three-wheeler bike/car hybrid thingy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carver_%28automobile%29
Old 17-07-14, 09:46 PM   #29
dkid

Default Operation: Commute

Saw this yellow one at bike night and thought of you mate. First one I've seen in the flesh up close. Looks like it's be a hoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-07-14, 10:14 PM   #30
tigersaw
Mega Poster

That indicator thing is right, for USA the front indicators illuminate for 'position' but not the rear ones. Same on my USA imported Serow
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote