SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-07-14, 12:33 PM   #51
Spank86

Default Re: Gaza and Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Curious isn't it that there's no news reports of rockets being fired at the Egyptians whilst approximately 1600 have been fired at Israel?
On the one hand The Sinai desert isn't generally considered a target rich area on the other Egypt's actions aren't illegal. They've merely closed their border.

Israel are actively preventing supplies entering from sea as well as land (obviously because they don't want weapons to get in).
Old 30-07-14, 12:53 PM   #52
SvNewbie

Or that they have historically been allied with Egypt, or that Egypt has continued to condemn Israel's actions in Gaza and supports an independent Palestinian state.
Old 30-07-14, 06:36 PM   #53
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Oh yes they do. This war is all about what all wars are about - natural resources, wealth and power. Gaza has significant gas reserves, Israel has an energy crisis. It is that simple this time. Google 'Gaza Gas Reserves' or 'British Gas Gaza', you'll soon find out. This is not widely reported in the Western media because then good ol' 'Murica would be seen to support an aggressive regime rather than one "protecting its people". Here's a starter for 10

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-energy-crisis

The Israeli action is appalling and should be loudly condemned by all.
I wasn't aware of that and it's an interesting read. It still doesn't change the perspective though. In essence what Israel is saying is that if Gaza was allowed to develop it's gas fields then the money raised would be used by Hamas to fund it's war against Israel, and not for the benefit/development of Palestine.

Also worth noting is that the fields appear to be on borders of various other countries so even if Israel overran Gaza and seized control they would then have to take on Egypt, Lebanon etc etc to get control of the oil and gas.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 09:00 AM   #54
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
I will NEVER condemn (loudly or otherwise) a nation for defending it's people against terrorists & if you do then you should be ashamed of yourself!
If you lived there... you'd be a terrorist as well.
Cos they've got absolutely no other way to hit back.

Pick handles against smart bombs.
Old 31-07-14, 10:09 AM   #55
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
If you lived there... you'd be a terrorist as well.
Cos they've got absolutely no other way to hit back.

Pick handles against smart bombs.
Chris - don't presume to tell me what I would or wouldn't do.

You say "pick handles against smart bombs" - a good soundbite (your own or read elsewhere?), but what we're actually talking about here are rockets ranging from 60mm to 333mm with warheads ranging from 0.5kg to 150Kg - hardly 'pick handles' are they?

You also say that it's the only way for them to 'hit back' - hit back against what?

The blockade? The reason for blockade in the first palce was to prevent the continued importation of weapons by Hamas for use against Israel.
Old 31-07-14, 10:10 AM   #56
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default Gaza and Israel

Quote:

You say "pick handles against smart bombs" - a good soundbite (your own or read elsewhere?), but what we're actually talking about here are rockets ranging from 60mm to 333mm with warheads ranging from 0.5kg to 150Kg - hardly 'pick handles' are they?

You also say that it's the only way for them to 'hit back' - hit back against what?

The blockade? The reason for blockade in the first palce was to prevent the continued importation of weapons by Hamas for use against Israel.

This.

Sent via the medium of interpretive dance.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 10:28 AM   #57
SvNewbie

Quote:
Which have killed 28 people in the last 15 years. In context, about as effective at killing people as lightening strikes in the UK.

Quote:
I guess they might be a little miffed about the continued occupation of Palestinian territories in violation of international law.

Last edited by SvNewbie; 31-07-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 31-07-14, 10:29 AM   #58
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
This.
Matt, if you're input to the conversation is shorter than your signature it's probably not worth adding.
Old 31-07-14, 10:35 AM   #59
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default Gaza and Israel

How else do you propose I show my agreement without retuning everything he just said? I agree with him and wanted to put forward my agreement.

Sent via the medium of interpretive dance.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-14, 10:43 AM   #60
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:

Alright, what would you do then?

Good soundbite, paraphrased from Spike Milligans autobiography I suppose...
And yes, while I agree you wouldn't want a rocket on your head... they are about as much use as a pick handle against the weapons of the 21st century that Isreal are well equipped with.

Hit back against the general state of affairs, the Israeli apparatus.

My point is the absolute desperation of their situation, I'm not saying the actions they take are right... just the "why".