SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-06, 04:28 PM   #1
The Basket

Default Overtaking on blind bends

Had a good blast on the SV today. 3000 miles up not bad for me in 8 months Plus a Winter slow down.
Not a thing has gone wrong, not even in bad weather. Even leave it in the shed for weeks and starts first time. Exhaust downpipes look shabby but this is a Suzuki after all Two 0mph drops, left and right, the odd scratch and a new front left indicator.

Saw some poor riding which just amazed me. Overtaking on blind bends, crazy overtakes with on coming traffic and stuff like that. I was scared watching so god knows what the rider was thinking There is a difference between riding like a god and riding like a fool.
Old 22-04-06, 04:50 PM   #2
TC3

Went for a nice long blast too and towards the end i was on a nice bit of road running from Codicote to Hitchin (some on here must know it). So i overtake some car and there is a bike in front of me and has soon as he sees me come up behind him he decides to overtake on a right hand blind bend
Guy goes way over to other side of road and would have been mince meat if anything was coming and he just managed to get back in before a car hit him.

Oh well....if he wants to up his risk taking thats up to him
Old 22-04-06, 05:17 PM   #3
tomjones2

Plain stupidity isn't it. I have seen cars doing this is well leaving nowhere to go and almost definaley resulting in fatalies because the speeds involoved.

As a matter of interest how many people will go over double white lines when you can see there is space to overtake? On lots of roads they seem to have got very keen to stop overtaking and painted solid lines where there is space for bikes to overtake.
Old 22-04-06, 05:22 PM   #4
skidmarx

What a great day for it. 4 Hours this morning. Overtaken on the M25 by nutter on GSXR. I wasn't exactly hanging about. Traffic heavyish, then slowed, blue lights ahead on hardshoulder...... It was Mr GSXR and plod. I did get followed for about 5 mile by what must have been IAM group, couldn't shake 'em, though they did eventually disappear in a cloud pipe smoke and baffling hand signals.
Met a guy who was riding home........from Croatia!
800 miles now on the clock so it was nice to not clock watch the revs.

I love my SV
Old 22-04-06, 05:39 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
...Codicote to Hitchin...
B656, nice road.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-06, 07:00 PM   #6
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
...Codicote to Hitchin...
B656, nice road.
I never can remember the name of it.

So i went up to Royston via the Baldock bypass (picked up a lotta flys on my visor on that road as the flys were going way to fast ) then i got onto the A10 from Royston and ended up doing a right at a roundabout that was signed Baldock. Do not know the name of that road either but it was a real nice ride back to Baldock with some good bends. Anyone know what the road is called?
Old 22-04-06, 07:17 PM   #7
Saint Matt

Darwinism
Old 22-04-06, 07:40 PM   #8
amarko5

one reason not ot overtake on bends or even go round them

and that is at this bend

Be careful out there won't you
Old 22-04-06, 08:52 PM   #9
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
True, but its bikers like that which make the general public aka Mr Car Driver think we're all dangerous nutters.

And yes its up to him to take the risk, but what if he caused an accident that took you out? Therein lies the problem - the weekend Riding Gods who only come out with the sun seem to leave their road sense at home and ride without regard for anyone else of the consequences of their actions.
Old 22-04-06, 09:28 PM   #10
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
True, but its bikers like that which make the general public aka Mr Car Driver think we're all dangerous nutters.

And yes its up to him to take the risk, but what if he caused an accident that took you out? Therein lies the problem - the weekend Riding Gods who only come out with the sun seem to leave their road sense at home and ride without regard for anyone else of the consequences of their actions.
Very true, there seems to be a misconception that bikers only hurt themselves in accidents. Been a few accidents when bikes have hit cars broadside to the doors and gone straight through killing the occupents.