SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-03-09, 12:52 PM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: 6 months and qualified to teach kids?

But £120 a day makes far more sense...
Old 10-03-09, 12:53 PM   #22
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

oops double post
Old 10-03-09, 12:54 PM   #23
missyburd

Thinking about it, I thought students were given financial incentives to go into teaching? Like nursing, where you get uni fees paid for and such.
Old 10-03-09, 12:55 PM   #24
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post

Actually that's not quite true, you can make money in teaching, but only if you progress beyond the classroom. So you end up with the best teachers no longer teaching. Stupid.
+1, my ex's dad was deputy head teacher at a senior school in bristol, just under £75k a year IIRC, and taught 2 lessons a week....
Old 10-03-09, 01:16 PM   #25
Ed

Our friend teaches in a secondary school in one of the rougher parts of Shrewsbury. She says that often nobody turns up to parents' evenings. if this is typical then I don't suppose that most people would be too bothered. I guess that many see school as a means of getting the kids out the house, someone else's responsibility, and the extent to which the teacher is qualified is irrelevant.

I detect a lot of kicking and screaming from teaching unions on this issue. It is a problem if the new trainee teachers can't teach, but is there any firm evidence that it will cause reduced standards?
Old 10-03-09, 01:20 PM   #26
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I detect a lot of kicking and screaming from teaching unions on this issue. It is a problem if the new trainee teachers can't teach, but is there any firm evidence that it will cause reduced standards?
I don't think it's an unfamiliar thing that kids are reaching double figures in age and not being able to read which I think is appalling. Can't remember where I found that out though

I help out with an after school club where we devise games and activities for kids in years 3 and 4 to do with wildlife. We made the mistake a few weeks back of making a game where the kids had to match up sentences completely taking it for granted that they could read! so . My first book was a dictionary when I was about 4, I loved reading from that early age and yet these poor kids were struggling to string 2 or 3 words together! I was shocked.

Last edited by missyburd; 10-03-09 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 01:24 PM   #27
Milky Bar Kid

I don't know if they are intending on rolling this out in Scotland as well because the training is a LOT more rigourous in Scotland for teaching.

When I left school I looked at applying to become a Music Teacher. In Scotland, you must have a degree in the subject you want to teach before doing your PGCE and if you train in England for your PGCE, you have to further training to teach in Scotland.

I think teaching is an art and I don't think people with absolutely no experience of teaching will be able to teach in 6 months. I think the government need to remember that they are messing with childrens future's if they mess with the teaching.

I don't have children but I know if I did, I wouldn't be happy with this idea at all!
Old 10-03-09, 01:27 PM   #28
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post

I think teaching is an art and I don't think people with absolutely no experience of teaching will be able to teach in 6 months.
Couldn't agree more. Good teachers are hard to find, especially in the younger generation but then that's mainly down to experience.
Old 10-03-09, 01:35 PM   #29
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Couldn't agree more. Good teachers are hard to find, especially in the younger generation but then that's mainly down to experience.
Dunno, some of the older lot are so set in their ways that they teach very little and inspire absolutely no interest!

All through school we had bits of both, takes all sorts. Or maybe just takes a teacher with an interest in a subject!
Old 10-03-09, 01:36 PM   #30
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
I don't think it's an unfamiliar thing that kids are reaching double figures in age and not being able to read which I think is appalling. Can't remember where I found that out though

I help out with an after school club where we devise games and activities for kids in years 3 and 4 to do with wildlife. We made the mistake a few weeks back of making a game where the kids had to match up sentences completely taking it for granted that they could read! so . My first book was a dictionary when I was about 4, I loved reading from that early age and yet these poor kids were struggling to string 2 or 3 words together! I was shocked.

I think it is ridiculous in today's day and age that there is so much illiteracy in this country. We are meant to be one of the most forward countries in the world yet our teenagers can't read? What the hell is going on???!! Is is poor teaching, too few teachers with too many kids, not enough resources or lack of parental input?

Whatever the problem, it needs to be addressed. If these kids can't read, write or count, how are they meant to find jobs? They won't and then they will feel useless and loose all of their self-esteem and this will lead, in some cases, not all, to them turning to crime, drugs, alcohol. (in some cases) they will have children who will end up the same because no one will take an interest in them.

Instead of trying to cut corners on the teacher training, the government should be trying to find out what the problem is and putting together some sort of plan to fix it.