SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 16-07-14, 12:40 PM   #11
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: First track day

There are plenty of things to consider when doing your first track day and going to a well organized group such as No Limits and using one of their bikes as some advantages if you are reasonably confident in your riding ability and want an opportunity to have a complete hoon with minimal (limited) risk to your budget.

If however you want to learn about riding your bike, have a lot of fun, and come away as a better rider both in terms of skill and self discipline then again go to a well organized day but use your own bike. Provided you don't do anything stupid, and why should you if you can ride around on the road without crashing every day, then you can two or three track days on your own bike for the same cost as hiring one for a day, and the experience will be far more long lasting.

If you do decide to use your own bike then try and pick a circuit that will suit both it and yourself. Cadwell for example is an awesome track and does suit an SV, but it's quite tricky to learn and not very forgiving if you get it wrong anywhere. Donnington or Silverstone on the other hand have loads of run off or bail out routes.... but are pretty much flat out everywhere on an SV (if you get the GP track it's marginally better) and Silverstone in particular can be pretty featureless making it harder to learn reference points. Brands Indy is pretty ideal, but quite expensive, Lydden is almost as good and cheap.....

The third option is to go to an organized school day, either on their bike or yours. The IAM run what they call "skills days" and are currently the only people allowed to use Thruxton which isn't to far from you, however it is very "organized" (read safe) and you won't get away with anything noisy, so they are not everybodys cup of tea.

Whichever option you decide to pick just remember to have a laugh, you won't regret it!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-14, 01:43 PM   #12
granty92

Default First track day

The only thing stopping me taking the sv is the can on it, it's way too noisy and I don't have a standard one laying around anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-14, 01:52 PM   #13
Griff-SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by granty92 View Post
Lovely job! That answers all my questions, this could be fun. Cheers again griff
No worries Granty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Whichever option you decide to pick just remember to have a laugh, you won't regret it!
I second that completely. It's a fun day and you will get so much out of it.

Plus make the most of an instructor as ususally it's no extra cost for on track tuition.
Old 16-07-14, 03:46 PM   #14
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default First track day

Granty, got a standard can you can borrow if you want?

Wanted to do a track day for ages but as my bike wasy commuter couldn't risk it being off the road for repairs just in case. Thought about renting one but was too expensive, cost plus excess.

If you want to try your hand first, there is a club near us based out of RAF Odiham. It's a closed club that do track days (I think it's closed or invite only), one of my mates is part of it so can prob get you in if you want. It's not miles away and pretty cheap.

The other alternative is there is a riding school based out of I think donington, run by an ex racer and supported by Honda, at least it was. You pitch up borrow a bike and get taught how to ride with tuition in the morning and then it operates like a normal track day in the afternoon. Can't for the life of me remember what it's called though
Old 16-07-14, 05:45 PM   #15
dean0n0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroUK View Post
Can't for the life of me remember what it's called though
Ron Haslam?

Someone I know got his dad a lap (or two) on the back of Ron for his 70th birthday
Old 16-07-14, 06:40 PM   #16
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default First track day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0n0 View Post
Ron Haslam?

Someone I know got his dad a lap (or two) on the back of Ron for his 70th birthday

Ah ha! Yes that's the one!

Www.ronhaslamraceschool.com

Cheers dean!
Old 16-07-14, 08:49 PM   #17
Balky001
Mega Poster

Focused published the costs here

http://www.focusedevents.com/bike-hire.asp

All bikes are less than 2 years old and are set up well for the track. I've ridden R6, Zx6 and GSXR (I got rid of my bike at that time) and all were sound. I'm pretty sure the price included the trackday except if doing Brands GP but best to check. I do fancy trying the Panigale
Old 16-07-14, 10:29 PM   #18
Griff-SV

Beware though, once you've done one you'll get bitten by the bug and then it'll only lead to MORE!!!!! But it is so worth the money

I'm looking at the possibility of 3-4 days in Almeria next year if pocket money allows.......

Last edited by Griff-SV; 17-07-14 at 07:14 AM.