SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-05, 05:02 AM   #1
ginger

Default Faulty/erratic speedo reading SV1000

Hi Guys/Gals - has anyone seen a problem with their SV1K speedo reading? Mine was consistently erratic, jumping all over the place (usually reading high and jumping by anything up to 20mph) until the dealer finally agreed there was something wrong with it and replaced it under warranty after 6k miles.

Now the bu99er is doing it again, but less often, and it's worse when it's cold. Trouble is, the dealer has had it in the workshop and claims there is nothing wrong with it again! Unless it's static from my nylon knickers, I don't know what's causing it. Wiring has been checked, sensor is OK (I've scoped the output). I've run out of ideas (and goodwill at the dealer's). The constant flicking is driving me NUTS. Where do I go from here?

Oh- and one of the mirror heads has just started to flop around. It won't withstand windblast. Is this normal?
Old 01-05-05, 05:06 AM   #2
Cloggsy

Sounds like a Friday afternoon bike doesn't it What was replaced The speedo unit, cable, speedo drive (by the front wheel hub ) The only thing I can think of (if it isn't another faulty speedo unit) is the speedo drive - have you replaced the tyres The speedo drive is really brittle & if the tyre fitters were hand-fisted about replacing your front wheel, its highly likely that the drive unit may have been damaged... Hope this may help some, however, it is purely a guess

Your dealer is still obliged to rectify faults if the bike is under warranty If they ain't playing ball, contact Suzuki GB
Old 01-05-05, 11:23 AM   #3
uthaug

The SV1000 has the speedosensor on the front sprocket, not the front wheel hub like the 650.

Maybe a new speedo rotor, like the one in this picture (the round metal thing)
Old 03-05-05, 07:16 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

There have been a few cases where the speedo pick up and case have been damaged by the trigger wheel coming loose, check that's still tight, then take it back to the dealer again, if they won't help you contact Suzuki directly.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 09:25 AM   #5
will

just had my speedo sprocket replaced, and now the speedo on my sk3 650 is similarly erratic. working ok today, but yesterday was jumping all over the place.

maybe a faulty sprocket, but if not, any other ideas on what it could be?
Old 03-05-05, 10:05 AM   #6
AlanSv

I was a big too mad with a hose once, and I got water in the speedo facia / casing. and that screwed up the electrics for a while, with the rev counter being erratic. Left it outside facing the sun to dry out and it was fine.

May not be the same problem though.